NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I have a big problem

When I first looked into buying the Skywatcher-Skyliner 200p most information I got was that it was easy to transport, maybe im just weak but I really struggle with it and its almost been broken every time I try and carry it out... and thats just to my garden, and this unfortunately has made me become very paranoid I will drop the telescope and break it, can somebody help me out here?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how far away from the house and what obstilciles (appoligies having a dyslexic night with spelling, and im spelling it so wrong not even google will help :() are in your way, as you could try using a sack truck (i know it defeats the objective)

No I take it in two parts.

Carry it in two seperate pieces .i bought one people said was easy but found it hard lifting down stairs over gates and into garden so sold it on ebay.it sold easy .

split the dob mount from the scope carry mount out then telescope tube ota[optical tube assembly]

the OP mentioned he already splits it into 2 parts, i find some times my coulters a little unwildly an in my previous house / flat i had to carry it down 10 very badly built metal steps at an angle to get to the garden :(

how far away from the house and what obstilciles (appoligies having a dyslexic night with spelling, and im spelling it so wrong not even google will help :() are in your way, as you could try using a sack truck (i know it defeats the objective)

Its only 2 or 3 meters from the house but the problem is when im lowering the telescope tube back into the mount I keep almost dropping it and the sides of the tube are really slippery so I keep almost dropping it, even bought special gloves because its become such a problem.

Ahhh, what about glueing a rubber anti slip at type thing over the body of the scope? The kind they use for anti slip mats for phones in cars

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk so please ignore any spelling doodaaas I may make

You are just going to have to take care and wait a couple of years to grow into it.

Perhaps make sure you are not holding it a little bit away from you when you carry it out.

Profile says you are 14, a 200P isnt overly big and heavy but neither is it a light weight.

Thanks for all the tips, I think I will give it one more go with all the advice which didnt require me to buy anything, if I still have trouble I will buy things one by one until I find something that solves the problem.

Go slow Mate ! , take your time as a telescope is a delicate instrument .

Buy by all means lower the tube onto the mount in a horizontal position , as already said , this is the only way.

When carrying it out side , cuddle it against your body in a vertical position , with both elbows tucked hard against the tube ( like a waiter at a resturant carrying a plate of food ) , and GO SLOW !!! the sky aint going any where now , is it ? .

But I hear your pain , nothing hurts more than damaging something special , like your baby .

Slow ,,,,, now .

Brian.

• 4 weeks later...

For years I struggled to carry my 10 inch reflector out until I bought a metal handle and bolted it to the tube at a spot where it was balanced when carried in a horizontal position with one hand, which made it very easy to carry. I leave the EQ mount outside covered with a tarp and it has survived nicely over many years. But for someone your age/size/strength, this idea may not work but considered as a possible solution.

I always lower it vertical I have never had any problems that way ?

Just take it in 2 parts the only heavy bit is the stand bit that doesn't matter if it gets the off bump, The telescope tube is quite light , just go steady and don't rush give yourself plenty of time to set up , I would like to bit one of those tripod motorised mounts someday for this scope are they much easier to transport than a big chunky wooden Baden?

Archived