NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Northwich!

petecj

Have recently rejuvenated my interest in astronomy from when I was a 17-18 year old (apart from a brief dabble when my daughters were younger). Older now (55), not much wiser but with a bit more disposable income am totally gobsmacked at how the equipment market has changed!. Currently contemplating one of the SkyWatcher 150 reflectors (thought about the 200 but not a very dark garden so portability wins out). The advice you get in here as a non-member is amazing so looking forward to a fuller participation!!

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Pete and welcome to the forum. I agree that the kit available today for astronomers at affordable prices is really quite amazing, as is the quality control that the major manufacturers are able to apply. Having said that, I think that new people coming into astronomy can get easily overwhelmed by the specifications and possibilities that are out there and that is why joining a forum like this can be useful in helping new people to help make sense of it all and to help match some of those choices against a person's interests. Asking questions is the key and using the search facility (top right hand corner of the screen) to perform some background research to help with some of the understanding. The 150P is a very good performer, as are many of the Skywatcher scopes and would certainly represent a worthwhile investment in getting yourself up and running in astronomy.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Pete, you're not far from me I'm in Pickmere.

Have a few streetlamps and the odd security light locally but I must say I couldnt bear to be without the gear in my sig !!!

spookily close lee!!! I was contemplating the 200p only on Wednesday but ruled it out on portability grounds. Would be interested in meeting up, if it ever stops raining?

Archived