Hello from Tipton

Ad73am

Hi all!

My name is Adam and I am new to Astronomy, my only experience is looking up at the sky!

I know a few stars and planets but that's really all, I have borrowed a scope from a work colleague it's a Skywatcher 114/500 ( I think that's the right name) I looked at Jupiter and 3 moons tonight and that was the first time I've looked through a telescope.

If any body could advise me of other things to look out for, or clubs in the West Midlands that would be cool, I tried for the moon tonight but then realised it doesn't come up till 4 in the morning!

Thanks Guys and Girls

Adam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. Well I can certainly help you find some other targets by asking you to take a look at some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can read about here. It has lots of features to keep you busy when the clouds come in and it can be calibrated to your precise viewing location thereby presenting the exact same sky as you will observe. It's not a static display and in fact Stellarium's night sky moves across the screen in real time and there is an advance date/tome feature that will allow you to anticipate when objects are coming and available to view - including the moon! :grin: Many of us use here use Stellarium and it is very popular and it is even capable of being linked with certain telescope's mounts to help facilitate finding objects via their 'Goto' capability. I gather that there is a version of Stellarium as an app for smart phones but from what I hear its not as good as the computer version. Someone I was talking to the other evening showed me a planetarium program called Star Walk on their phone and from what I could see that looked pretty good too and might be something that is worth a look. As an alternative to Stellarium, you might want to consider another free planetarium program called "Cartes De Ciel" which you can read about here. Hope that helps you get started.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

Hi Adam and welcome to the forum. Well I can certainly help you find some other targets by asking you to take a look at some free planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can read about here. It has lots of features to keep you busy when the clouds come in and it can be calibrated to your precise viewing location thereby presenting the exact same sky as you will observe. It's not a static display and in fact Stellarium's night sky moves across the screen in real time and there is an advance date/tome feature that will allow you to anticipate when objects are coming and available to view - including the moon! :grin: Many of us use here use Stellarium and it is very popular and it is even capable of being linked with certain telescope's mounts to help facilitate finding objects via their 'Goto' capability. I gather that there is a version of Stellarium as an app for smart phones but from what I hear its not as good as the computer version. Someone I was talking to the other evening showed me a planetarium program called Star Walk on their phone and from what I could see that looked pretty good too and might be something that is worth a look. As an alternative to Stellarium, you might want to consider another free planetarium program called "Cartes De Ciel" which you can read about here. Hope that helps you get started.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum

James

hi adam. the above advice is perfect. start off with the brightest objects . welcome aboard the forums.

Hi Adam and welcome to SGL, as well as all the other good information you have been given , next time you are in town you might like to pick up a copy of the Sky@Night mag from Smiths or other good news agents, something you can read at your leisure and will give you an introduction into the World of Astronomy, there are also other good periodicals covering the subject, which will no doubt be available as well :)

John.

Archived