Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

RACI finder

Now, I'm quite a fit and spritely person and using the normal straight through finder wasn't a big issue really. A bit of an aching back after a long session, but nothing major; and the upside, back-to-front image took some getting used to, but you do get used to it. Eventually.

So I wasn't in any rush to buy a RACI, it was on my list of "nice to haves" but near the bottom. One came up second hand earlier this week for a decent price so I took the plunge.

It really is a marvel!

No more bending and crouching behind the scope to see through it; I just sort of hover just a little higher than looking through the eyepiece and from the same side. You don't have to move. It really is so much easier!

The corrected image did take some getting used to actually as I was used to pushing the dob left to make the image go right etc but once you get it down you realise how instinctive it is!

Even though I didn't "need" one I'm really glad I got one :)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for that spec-chum, I have one on the way, so it's good to hear a positive review; the mrs gets tired of hearing me shouting "ow! me back" from the garden. BTW, are all the pics on the TLAO site for binoculars, or do I need to look somewhere in particular?

I use to be a Telrad only man but now use it alongside my RACI and they work great together, would never go back to just the Telrad. Having a RACI that excepts 1 1/4" EP's is also another nice touch for observing larger objects.

Which RACI did you get? I've just got my Telrad and the finder was next on my list I'd been looking at the Skywatcher 9X50.

Thanks

Jason

that would be perfectly fine imo.

i was lucky my scope came with a raci finder, and it works well along with the telard and starchart. i say it works well....... i still cant hit a cows buttocks with a stringed instrument most nights !

:icon_sad:

I have one of the Orion RACI ones too. Nice finder. I had A Skywatcher one recently that was RA but not CI (corrected image) so left and right were still reversed. I prefer the fully corrected view.

Most of the time though I find a red dot or Rigel Quikfinder on it's own gets me where I want to be. It's nice to have the RACI optical option occasionally though.

I think it's down to focal length. my main scopes are 1600mm and 1840mm focal length so the field of view is scarcely 1 degree. this is where the dual finders come into their own other than for bright objects. with shorter FL scopes you'll be there or close with the RDF.

Great link to the TLAO online stuff, didn't know it existed despite owning the book!

i've not come across the term RACI before. I assume it stands for Right Angled Correct Image? Might have to get one of these as I'm often confused by the image with my straight through finder scope. I know I should probably persevere but my brain sometimes has a 'dim' moment out there in the cold ;)

Thanks spec-chum. Another thing that I was going to 'wait and see' on that now works it's way up the order.

I think the fact a new one is over £50 ( my mental limit for non major purchases) that is stopping me so well done on getting a second hand one.

If you don't mind answering - I think you put your old straight thru up in the classifieds for £35 - if it was you did you get that sort of figure for it? A net cost of c.£30 to change would help with the finances of the upgrade.

Anyone using a non RACI straight thru finder... What people EXPECT to use a finder deserve to not find things..... Why make stuff hard.

A green laser and a RACI will do for pretty much any scope, though a bigger finder helps when the light pollution reduces the star count.

Without a RACI finder how are you supposed to use all those lovely right way round charts??

Cheers

Peter

Thanks spec-chum. Another thing that I was going to 'wait and see' on that now works it's way up the order.

I think the fact a new one is over £50 ( my mental limit for non major purchases) that is stopping me so well done on getting a second hand one.

If you don't mind answering - I think you put your old straight thru up in the classifieds for £35 - if it was you did you get that sort of figure for it? A net cost of c.£30 to change would help with the finances of the upgrade.

It was me, yes buddy.

To be honest I didn't really know how much to put it up for sale for so I put 35 delivered ono. I got 3 offers to buy, 2 at asking so I can't have been too far out.

It sold within 24 hours of been being posted so the demand is there. It also means I know 2 people looking for one if you want to pm me your email I'll contact them on for you.

Archived