NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First attempt at M31

Stargazer33

It can be quite difficult finding DSOs. Best thing is to get your scope/mount aligned on some bright stars and then your pointing software (eg. CdC or Stellarium) should put you in the right place. I also use an electronic finder - another 1100D with telephoto lens lined up with scope. That can be used with long exposures to home in to a DSO. I've had a lot of problems finding the dim DSOs in the past.

Thanks for all the positive comments.

I think I need to do longer subs in order to register the photons on each frame. To do that I need to do a better alignment with my mount. I have read on another post on the forum about doing the 2 star alignment + calibration star with the CG5-GT, then doing the polar alignment option within the handset menu, then doing a 2 star alignment with 3 calibration stars. Hopefully that should then allow me to do longer subs, maybe as long as 2 mins. That should give me enough data to get something decent out of it.

Now I have a real plan for my next imaging session.

Nice image. I'm still very new at this and have NOT even been able to find it. Clouds and a full moon have been driving me nuts.

Jeff

I know exactly what you are saying Jeff, it took me ages to find M31 with my old manual mount. As for cloudy nights...well it's not repeatable here! :grin:

I think it may be getting a bit late for this now but the Ring nebula (M57) is a good DSO to try as it is between beta and gamma Lyrae, which are very close together. Find Vega and then the paralellogram of 4 stars underneath it. M57 is between the bottom two stars.

Just had another try at post processing my M31 data. I was reading in the Sky at Nights 'Complete Guide to Astro Photography' about streatching the histogram to get more out of the data. Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to do that in my copy of Photoshop 7. Maybe it's because my images are .jpg and not in RAW format.

Anyway I had a long play with the levels, colour balance, hue/saturation/lightness and brightness/contrast controls and I think I have improved the final result slightly.

post-21511-0-48486000-1354965033_thumb.j

Archived