NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

2 hours on Jupiter animation

Jupiterholic

Thursdays Europa transit is still hanging around on my hard drive. Began shooting it at 9:20 pm and finished at gone 11:20 taking one picture every 4 minutes. The animation clearly shows the point halfway through (within the 4 minute gap between captures) when the seeing suddenly went rock solid.

jupitereuropatransit291.gif

thats a really cracking image, can i ask did you use the C8 in your sig? if so did you use any additional equipment? the level of detail is incrredible

Well the detail is down to the seeing that night (at least... in the second hour of my animation). There are many comparable, and far far better images than mine from the end of last week on this forum due to the period of good conditions we had. As they say in this business.. seeing is everything!

I did use the C8 in my signature. I only ever use that scope as my other one is a 4.5 inch reflector... and you wouldn't get images like this with that scope even with good seeing ;)

The only additional equipment I used were a 2x barlow lens and an IR block filter (along with my DBK camera of course).

Thanks for the kind comments all, here's to the next time we get seeing like that!

that is a very nice animation. If I can give one small recommendation lower the interval time to ~1 minute between captures it dramatically improve the flow of the animation.

Dror

Yeah I agree Dror. This was one of the first times I've actually stuck to a schedule when recording for an animation and even despite how many times I've observed how fast Jupiter rotates I didn't think 4 minutes would be too long, but I think you're right, lessening the time between captures is definitely needed. Next time we get some good seeing in the UK... probably in about 2 or 3 years time ;) I'll give it a go at one minute intervals.

Thanks again for kind comments/advice guys.

amazing mate!!!! could watch this over and over again lol your right its a big change from when it changes from OK seeing to very nice seeing!! i love this! :)

oh and all your pics in your sig are awsome fella!! WELL DONE :)

Thanks mate. keep meaning to update my signature actually, got a better moon, Venus and Jupiter nowadays. Glad you like the animation. Cheers.

Nice post

Shows what can be acheived with the good old C8 :grin:

I've been thinking of a camera upgrade and a DBK or DFK is something I've been mulling over for some time, probably go for the DBK & buy the filter as you have done giving more flexibility

That is what i will be aiming for sometime soon, hoping to get some serious imaging done over xmas with a bit of weather luck.

Fantastic video i love it, do you know of a good tutorial for doing the animated vids ?

Archived