Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everyone

ian_j_kirk

Hi, im Ian from Tamworth in Staffordshire. Just become a member and thought i would say hello. I'm pretty new to astronomy, i got an entry level refractor for my birthday in April (celestron astromaster 70 in case you were wondering) It was pretty limited in what you could do with it to be fair, but it could still just about show Saturn's rings, Jupiter's four main moons and it could split albireo. I am pretty sure i even found andromeda, although it just looked like a very feint white smudge so it may have been something else!

However that was all it took to get me hooked. I got permission from the wife and I am now having an 8' dob delivered tomorrow. After a bit of research (including on stargazers lounge) i have decided on a skymaster skyliner 200p. hoping for some clear skies soon, as i can't wait to get going, and looking forward to sharing experiences on here with you all!

Ian

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Ian and welcome to the forum. Great choice on the Sywatcher 200P dobsonian scope, can't go wrong with that kit and will certain get you off to a flying start. Make sure you get that permission in writing - you know what they're like for changing their minds!! :grin: :grin: :grin:

Clear skies for the scopes delivery.

James

Hello Ian and welcome aboard from a fellow Staffs dweller :)

That faint smudge you describe sounds very much like the Andromeda Galaxy. I have a 130mm Newtonian and it looks just the same. If you can find a darker site somewhere near you, it would make a good difference, especially when you get your Dob.

Good luck :)

Archived