Hello from Kent

DaveHKent

Hello!

Another fairly newbie astronomer here based in Whitstable, Kent.

Equipment: Celestron NexStar 90 SLT, Fuji Finepix S5500

It is depressing how little I've used my telescope since getting it 20 months ago. It seems like the nights when I'm free and not completely knackered (I have young kids!) are the nights when it is cloudy and raining. Certainly has been for bigger events like the transit of Venus, meteor showers, various alignments etc. Hopefully we have some clear winter evenings ahead (like last night) and I'll be out more regularly.

I want to do a bit of astro photography too, though being a "fixed lens but looks like a SLR" camera it is not best suited. The Orion Starshoot Planetary imager is likely to be my next purchase.

Expect lots of newbie questions on all of the above :)

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David and welcome to the forum. As you seem to have designs on getting into astrophotography, may I suggest that you consider getting hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which is great book to help you get started. It is very comprehensive and will advise you what kit to get and why you need it to take good consistent images. Astro imaging does present a steep learning curve at the beginning but it soon levels out and this book will certainly be a big help in getting you there. Of course collecting the required 'data' via your telescope will be the initial consideration point but of course processing the final image is another, and although thankfully there are plenty of free software programs out there that will help you, there are inevitably one or two others that you will have to pay for. This book will therefore also provide you with the necessary overview that will enable you to decide form the start how far you want to go and what the likely budget is going to be.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hello Dave and welcome aboard. You can ask anything here and someone, somewhere will know the answer :)

+1 on the suggestion to get Making Every Photon Count book. It's the best twenty quid I've spent in this hobby and a good read.

Good luck.

Archived