Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear Tonight?

laser_jock99

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just got back from an observing spot a mile away - quick session as I have to work tomorrow. Nice to catch up with some old friends after a long time absent! From my vantage point I could see little coloured supernovas going off all along the valley floor; some of them bright enough almost to ruin my night vision!

Still have a certain amount of cloud here, but I'm going to stick it out for a while yet. The breeze appears to have swung round from the north east to the south west, which perhaps explains it.

James

I'm getting clearer patches but still a fair amount of high cloud. No breeze whatsoever so I'm a little nervous that fog is on its way. That said I'm aiming to stick it out and am capturing subs of the California Nebula...

James

Still clear-ish here. No cloud visible, but seems to be quite some lower orange haze. Still got two hours before Orion clears the trees... no, moving isn't an option, unless I can polar align inside a spare bedroom... :D That sounds so stupid I want to give it a try...

It turned crystal clear here. I had put the scope out in the hope of clear skies so I was positioned to take advantage! Jupiter was amazingly sharp - if it was an astrophoto I might have thought it was oversharpened :-) The North Polar Zone and the North Temperate Belt (I think that its name) stood out clearly, with plumes and billows in the NEB, as well as a dark long barge south of the NEB. The SEB was smooth and well defined but no sign of the Red Spot. There were some spots visible south of the SEB, but no sign of the SPZ.

The passing clouds were missing Auriga so I turned the scope to my favorite clusters - M35, M36, M37 and M38. As ever I tried to decide which is the most beautiful. Tonight the contrast was not quite there so M37 was too faint to claim its usual first place, and I preferred M36 as it is much brighter. M35 looked 3D and was a contender also. I'll never figure out which one looks the best!

Well, I've just called it a night having spent most of the last hour waiting to see if the cloud would pass. Managed about 30 minutes observing in two hours or so. Not the most satisfying evening given the forecast was clear until well past dawn. Hey ho.

James

Still clear, but everything is covered in dew now. Since I have nothing else to hand, I've resorted to using my hand. Pressed onto the front glass to try and get some warmth into it, before wiping it as dry as I can and having another go imaging. Got my best ever Pleiades while waiting for Orion, and even with few dewey subs got my best ever M42 too. I'm having a quick stab at the horsehead and flame before bed...

Must order dew stuff!

Not sure if it was high cloud, fog, or smoke from bonfires and fireworks but the transparency wasn't very good last night - except, it seemed, over to the East where Jupiter did look very clear, at least to the eye. Lots of moisture in the air, but very cold...

I got a few more Ha subs of the western veil and then was popping away at M33 (first time I've imaged it) but all of the subs (30 x 600s) are pretty noisy due to the poor conditions so, while the guiding was pretty good, I'm not sure I'll keep the data...

Have the laptop remotely controlled via Team Viewer now so could monitor the guiding from the kitchen table while I was catching up on some work!

Archived