Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Clear Tonight?

laser_jock99

Still nice & clear here I've been pointing the camera up at the sky taking pictures hoping to make up another timelapse video later, I've also imaged & observed Jupiter with what I think was a shadow going across it. The trusty Philips webcam imaged it ok but my new QHY5-II camera is still pants so not impressed. Think I'll be having words with them again on Monday about it. Just nipped in for another cuppa & a warm up but I've looked at the Pleiades & now have the scope pointing at the double cluster. As soon as Orion pops over the roof top I'll be having a peek at that too. But the breeze outside is bitter brrrrr!!!!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just packed up... got a nice set of videos of the edge of the moon and even managed to revive the ancient Meade LPI to get some colour data on Jupiter. I've lost feeling on my extremities now... need gloves!

Ooh, I see Orion is just about up now, but it's behind a tree. Estimate it's still 4 hours before it reaches a clear patch and I'm not staying up that late.

Yup, I've donned the fishing gear to keep out the cold. Unfortunately I have my mount set up really low to avoid nosey chavs, so I have been sitting on the floor looking at the synguider. Not the most comfortable time I can tell you.

So it will be a head ache and a chest cold in the morning then. :p

No such thing.

The best thing since sliced bread: 2 of these sets you up for the day. A sausage sarnie and brown sauce for breakfast will also help.

The chest infection and the lose of my voice will remain though.

LOL.

post-5361-0-51616900-1351898078_thumb.jp

I've been twitching the curtains periodically and it's been clear every time I've peeked. Gutted as I've been wiped out with cabin fever since getting back from hols and this is the second clear night in a row. Last night looked like it had a stiff breeze about it and tonight looks less severe.

Nice to see Orion above ground by now and I could spy the nebula naked eye, and the Pleiades was shining well (considering the LP!) earlier. :sigh:

Clear here with the odd bit of high cloud, Jupiter with 3 moons..4th disappeared somewhere although it was in the tree. Andromeda with naked eye for a while until the moon killed it. Double cluster, M45 M34 and Uranus and that's me done for now till a bit later 3.9c outside at present.

Wish I had paid attention earlier as Io was in transit hence my missing moon!

Still relatively clear here. The moon is up and everything is awash, but Orion is coming over my rooftop and I can't let it go without giving it a shot. It'll be a long night, and I have a photo shoot in the morning. Sigh.

The sky was cloud free until 9:30, but it's very bright and there seems to be a lot of moisture in the air and the air was quite turbulent. Viewed Jupiter and its moons and saw Io transiting the disc of the planet. Also observed double double with my C6 (not fully cooled), Epsilon Lyrae 2 was split at 85x, but 1 was not split, just elongated. Both were split at 150x.

Bummer, dewstrap is not working, eek!!

The corrector on my C6 misted up at around 9:30. I packed up and switched to binocular until there was too much cloud. It has been a while since I last stayed out long enough for the C6 to dew up. I should invest in a dew strap / dew shield.

Well I'm done. The cloud has rolled in from the south and Orion is obscured. I've just checked Stellarium and it will be another month before it get high enough for me to catch it with the scope. I can see it standing up, but my scope is too low. I need to make a bigger screen to keep it from prying eyes so that I can raise it up a bit. Bad thing is that as it is now with the legs retracted, i can get it through the doors without taking it apart, and leave it in the dining room.

My diy dew heater was working but is not getting warm enough. I think I'll just buy a couple and be done with it.

I think I've done ok here is Stoke. Pretty much cloudless in my bit since 8pm. Out and set up at 8:30, polar aligned, star aligned and away by 9pm. Jupiter resolved quite well through the TMB 4mm with bands easily visible and four bright moons. Lovely :)

Lots of air turbulence though - moon shimmering so quite surprised I could see Jupiter so well. But seeing can't be that good as M31 is its usual faint fuzzy self - fuzzier than usual. M42 also particularly fuzzy! Had a great time Messier hopping nonetheless, with bits of Jupiter inbetween and finished off just after 11pm with some video of Jupiter and Moon which I've just finished editing with Virtual Dub/Registax.

All in all a good evening given the weather forecast which said I would be lucky to get an hour's worth of clear sky around 8pm.

Cold out, but I'm glad I took the opportunity. I reckon it may be grim in my bit now after tonight ?!

Clear skies all !! :)

I had a clear sky for about an hour tonight after a day of near continous rain.

Sky was ~ mag 6, good enough to count over 15 stars in the square of Pegasus.

I managed to observe and estimate 26 variables in Cygnus and a few in Perseus, and they'll be uploaded to the AAVSO tomorrow.

Archived