Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from Derbyshire

Lonewolf

Hi to all,

I'm fairly new to astronomy and even newer to posting on a forum! (Don't know which seems more daunting.)

Hoping to pick up some good tips on astrophotography for newbies like me. I own a Skywatcher 200P with a HEQ5 mount and a Canon 550D camera.

All seems really confusing at the moment, so any pointers as to where to start would be very helpful. :smiley:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hiya Lonewolf; you've found the best place to start - Stargazers Lounge. I've been a member here for just over a year and the amount I've learnt from here is, erm, astronomical. Browse the forums (especially the sticky-ed posts in the beginners section) and if you don't see what you need to know then just ask. The forums are friendly.

In the meantime, have a look out your back door, I think we might be in for a clearish night :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. With regards to getting a good understanding regarding imaging, may I suggest as part of your research into this subject that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' ""Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which will provide you with a very comprehensive overview on how to achieve good consistent images. It is modestly priced, well laid out and takes your through the basics in a clear and concise way. Imaging isn't intrinsically complicated but there is a steep learning curve during the early stages which 'in theory' gets easier as your experience grows :grin:. You have got a great set up that will help you make a good start and having a HEQ5 mount, will of course permit the use of an autoguider which will certainly improve your tracking accuracy beyond achieving a good initial polar alignment assuming that you are setting your kit up each time you image. Imaging is referred to as, "the dark art" least of all because of the effect it can have on your wallet! :grin: :grin: Overall, imaging should always be more about having fun than frustration and the suggested book will certainly help you progress in that direction.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi,

I'm here also for help in astronomy. I live at the moment in Argyll but will be moving out to Andalucia next year so I am looking forward to stretching out on my star lounger, buying a telescope and star charts and getting really serious about the sky (warmer star-gazing for me!). Looking forward to all the help I can get from everyone here in the forums.

Archived