Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

S@N

Astro Imp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mmm Patrick is certainly showing his age now :( .. he looked so very left out of it in this episode, being put at the back like that.

The show was OK but I can't help thinking it's not what it used to be (content wise). For instance, I think it would be mighty educational of them to show an episode or two on the technical differences between telescope types and mounts, what you can expect (or not as the case may be) to see through them on good nights. Subjects like that I'm sure would be more interesting than these marathons with made up asterisms etc. Personal choice I guess.

mmm Patrick is certainly showing his age now :( .. he looked so very left out of it in this episode, being put at the back like that.

The show was OK but I can't help thinking it's not what it used to be (content wise). For instance, I think it would be mighty educational of them to show an episode or two on the technical differences between telescope types and mounts, what you can expect (or not as the case may be) to see through them on good nights. Subjects like that I'm sure would be more interesting than these marathons with made up asterisms etc. Personal choice I guess.

Agreed. Some useful information regarding different mounts and OTA's for use for basic observing to full on imaging would be good.

I suspect all around Patrick are there for when he moves onto his own celestial plain.

would be nice to see the show a/ made longer b/ given a more magazine style feel including kit demo's and tests whilst still retaining its main feel.

its a show that could really reach the masses if it was updated and given a face lift.

stargazing live is a bit of a disappointment weather wise but it can't be denied that it has a massive effect on this and other communities. I for one got into this hobby as a direct result of watching that show.

Whilst on the subject of TV programmes...the Horizon show was very good last night. Interesting to see how even top cosmologists , astro-physicists can have their whole thinking changed. I never bought into the BIG BANG theory. You can't make something outta nothing. The rebound ( bounce theory) seemed far more sensible.

Here is an image of M27 that I took at the Baker St Irregular Star Party near Crickhowell last month. It was the first test image I took with my CCD camera (SX M25C, 5 x 5 min exposures - guided, SW MN190). I sent it off to the S@N as the producer asked me at the star party to send in any images I took. I guess they did not use it as M27 was not on the Winter Moore Marathon. No sour grapes, that's the luck of the draw. Even so, I enjoyed the program. I always enjoy episodes where they talk to amateurs observing and imaging and think it is important to show what is going on at the grass roots level.

It was a good star party, thank yo to the organisers.

post-2076-0-14875100-1350041894_thumb.jp

Celestial G is an asterism taking in stars from several constellations to form a G.......why? No idea but uses Orion, Gemini and a couple others . Seems a bit wierd because I'm sure we could all come up with some letter or pattern if we looked up. Dead easy to see though so should be an easy tick off.

Thanks for that - now we all know :grin:

Watched Sky@night earlier on BBC4 and was disappointed when they were showing the visit to the star party. They were talking to the guys looking through their scopes and showing images of what they were observing and made no attempt to point out that these images were nothing like what was being observed but were AP images. The only time this was mentioned was when they showed the Hubble image of M1.

I fealt that this could easily have given newcomers the completely wrong impression and could have been easily avoided.

Any show i have seen that show images such as the ones they do, tend not to go into detail of how the images were obtained. They would spend all night doing so if they went into detail. I do agree that it can be misleading to newcomers, but what is the alternative?

Actually, on rewatching the show, I thought they showed a reasonable spectrum of images, some markedly less "accomplished" (for want of a better phrase) than others. They weren't all Hubble quality, not by a long shot.

I thought the images they showed were amazing.

i really enjoyed the show. not sure about the celestial g - i thought it was more of a celestial snail, but as a bit of fun to learn the positions/names of the brightest winter stars, i thought it was a good thing to have on the list.

the other thing to remember is that this is a show that should appeal to kids. i'm into astronomy now largely because of watching s@n in the 80s. i think they could learn a lot from something like the format of modern top gear. i realise that isn't going to be a popular comment on here, but there's no denying that it's a popular show and kids absolutely love it.

I enjoyed it, however i guess my entertainment as a child in the 80's is alot different from a childs these days as my 11 year old son just said "Dad its boring put the football back on please"...the disappointment ran deep...don't worry ill trade him in for a new scope soon :)

Its sad to see Patrick the way that he is, i wont go into it but it feels like when you visit a relative every month and each time you think "there getting worse :( "

all in all im a S@N nut so even if Rod and Emu presented it i would still tune in...i guess its just ingrained in my DNA now.

Roll on next month!

Its sad to see Patrick the way that he is, i wont go into it but it feels like when you visit a relative every month and each time you think "there getting worse :( "

It is indeed like that I know :(

But yes, no matter what they show (or not) I'll still watch it as well.

Enjoyed the show. In defence of the images used to illustrate the star party, I think Chris Lintott did say "long exposure photographs" or words to that effect several times. And, yes, poor Patrick Moore is showing his age but did perk up when asked a direct question.

I really wanted to go to the BSIA camp but I was away on my hols at the time.

why do BBC1 & 2 show a 20min episode and BBC4 shows a longer episode? I think they could at least do an hour long program as its only once a month, they could include more amateur stuff then as it really inspires people to what can be achieved in your back garden

sir patrick may be getting old [happens to us all] but i will miss him when he eventually has to give up [hopefully theres still a few years left for him ] i enjoy his contributions ,he's like an old uncle that you have grown up with literally i have watched his programmes for over 30 years and although showing some signs i look forward to this programme and sir p's contributions in them [even if it was only to say welcome and cheerio.]

sir patrick may be getting old [happens to us all] but i will miss him when he eventually has to give up [hopefully theres still a few years left for him ] i enjoy his contributions ,he's like an old uncle that you have grown up with literally i have watched his programmes for over 30 years and although showing some signs i look forward to this programme and sir p's contributions in them [even if it was only to say welcome and cheerio.]

he certainly is looking a little frail,bet his mind is pretty sharp still. even when i had little interest in the stars ,i knew his name and his familiar face as a kid. top man. i thought the show was okay .

Archived