Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

£100 - what to buy?

Finally decided on an Explorer 200p on an EQ5. Perfectly timed as it is my birthday next week and I usually get money from relatives to the tune of £100. Any advice on an accessory purchase? Eyepieces, if so which? Or a motor drive? Or anything else useful as I am a complete beginner! Thanks all

Difficult as you will need a collimator about £30,and a couple of eyepieces would be good, 2 of the BST's cost £94, motors will mean that an object remians in view longer and a lot less trouble, about £90.

You will want/need these at some time.

CAn reasonable collimation be done with a home made collimation cap?

If so make yourself one and buy the collimator later.

Motors or Eyepieces really depends on you, if you are happy to give manual tracking a go then drop the motors but they are very useful and as I said will keep things in view while you are looking and that makes it a lot more pleasant.

Motors mean power however so factor that in - simple main supply or whatever.

For convenience motors, is the option I would go for, but check the supply aspect as that could put the cost up.

its a tough one , collimation can be done well without any aid but you need more time and a good underatnding of what you are seeing. The drives will help, and so will the eyepieces. I'd go one eyepiece 18mm bst £47 cheshire at £30 and save the £23 towards a later motor purchase.

You could get the single axis drive as there's no real reason to touch the DEC once tracking. And a friend uses one of the AE posh dust caps as a colli-cap. The badge pops off to reveal a perfectly sized hole dead centre and its only £2.75. That would leave enough for a Stirling plossl from the States. £22 delivered and no charges. So that's drive for the EQ5, a collimation aid and a decent eyepiece for £100. :)

cheshire eyepiece http://www.firstlightoptics.com/collimation/cheshire-collimating-eyepiece.html

and a book either Turn left at Orion or The backyard astronomers guide or maybe both.

Agree with Cheshire and turn left at Orion, although I found my library had a copy.

How about a revelation 40mm eyepiece?

Typed by me, using fumms...

+1 for the motors, but I do image more than view.

Next priority for me would be a Telrad or BST explorer 25mm for finding the objects.

You can colimate to a certain extent with a cap with a hole in place over the EP tube.

very true but I got Sky & Telescope pocket Atlas of the shole sky for <£10.

Hehe i was getting desperate thinking ways to cram things into the £100 budget. :) But i agree, S&T Pocket Atlas would be great addition. I bought an ex-library copy of the Cambridge Star Atlas for £5, one of my best buys. The downloadable Telrad charts are very good too, especially if you can heat seal them. Make a great set in a ring binder.

Archived