Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Baader Classic Orthos Incoming

FLO

Baader have released their replacements for the venerable BGO series of orthoscopic eyepiece :smiley:

The Baader Classic Ortho eyepiece series will be available in 6, 10, & 18 mm focal lengths. Exact specifications are yet to be confirmed but performance is expected to be on a par with the BGO series but with AFOV increased to approx 50-degrees for easier target location. The 6 and 10mm also feature a volcano-top design for more comfortable observing. As before, these new eyepieces will feature High Transmission broadband multi-coatings on all air-to-glass surfaces, edge-blackened lenses and internal baffling for maximum brightness, contrast and colour neutrality.

First delivery is expected late-Oct/early-Nov.

baader_classic_ortho_eyepiece.jpg

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Be interested in these - I had ordered one from TS in may, but the deliveries to them kept getting put back and back so cancelled. TS had them advertised a lot cheaper than the BGOs...I wonder if that reflected the quality of the materials or optics? I assume the eyeshield will be included? Be interesting to try one side by side with the BGO to see if I get on better with the classic's volcano top design.

EDIT - oops didn't check link or see FLOs reponse above :)

Really dont like those focal lengths... :(

Are you sure? :smiley:

When used with your Explorer 200p they offer 167x, 100x & 56x with exit-pupils 1.19mm, 2mm & 3.57mm.

I have attached a chart showing the actual field of views. They would be a good match for your telescope and others with similar specification.

HTH,

Steve

post-54-0-53521000-1349795960_thumb.jpg

Hopefully not just re-housed Kson Super Ortho :rolleyes:

They aren't Ksons's. The Kson range is comprised of 4.8, 7.7, 10.5, 16.8 & 24mm focal lengths. The Baaders are 6, 10 & 18mm.

They sound interesting though but a slight worry about the quality.

It's Baader, and the orthoscopic is one of the simplest designs to manufacture. It's almost impossible to make a bad one so I don't think we'll have any quality issues :smiley:

They aren't Ksons's. The Kson range is comprised of 4.8, 7.7, 10.5, 16.8 & 24mm focal lengths. The Baaders are 6, 10 & 18mm.

It's Baader, and the orthoscopic is one of the simplest designs to manufacture. It's almost impossible to make a bad one so I don't think we'll have any quality issues :smiley:

Great stuff, one to keep an eye on. :)

Oops! :blush:

It is a Plossl, not an ortho'. I'll list that one separately.

Just to clarify, Baader are offering a 'Classic' series of eyepieces that includes three orthos and a Plossl. The focal lengths have been chosen to make a useful range of magnifications. With this in mind the full set is offered together with a Baader 2.25x Q barlow and Baader Q turret as a Baader Classic Eyepiece Set.

The Q turret and 2.25x barlow will be available separately, they will be added to our website tomorrow.

baader-q-turret-2957010.jpg

I have the skyliner (1200mm). I fear 6mm will be too much for most nights. :(

the best views i ever had of jupiter with my 200p were with a 6mm uo volcano top ortho. i think this 6mm would see a lot of use. 5mm was generally too much, but not the 6mm.

Just to clarify, Baader are offering a 'Classic' series of eyepieces that includes three orthos and a Plossl. The focal lengths have been chosen to make a useful range of magnifications. With this in mind the full set is offered together with a Baader 2.25x Q barlow and Baader Q turret as a Baader Classic Eyepiece Set.

The Q turret and 2.25x barlow will be available separately, they will be added to our website tomorrow.

holy balancing issues batman. we're supposed to have 4 eps and a barlow permanently hanging off our focusers? not sure about that...

the ep line up looks nice though!

holy balancing issues batman. we're supposed to have 4 eps and a barlow permanently hanging off our focusers? not sure about that...

I know what you mean but 1.25" orthos and Plossls aren't heavy. We won't know until they arrive but I reckon the combined weight will be around the same as one of the ultra-wide 'hand-grenades' favoured by some here :smiley:

At last ! :smiley:

The ETA is late-Oct/early-Nov.

The Baader Classic Q Barlow is now listed on our website. The barlow delivers 2.25x magnification when fitted to it's eyepiece holder or 1.3x if unscrewed and fitted direct to the eyepiece.

baader_q_barlow.jpg

Early reports over on CN, rate these very high. Hope they live up to their pre-production counterparts, I for one will be ordering one or two. :)

Yes just read an early review by the highly respected Bill Paolini (BillP) on Cloudynights. He was highly impressed after a planetary session. Rated the new BCO Ortho on a par with the outgoing BGO Ortho. I can already hear a stampede starting for these. :)

Would i be allowed to post a link to the review seeing as its on another forum?

Yes just read an early review by the highly respected Bill Paolini (BillP) on Cloudynights. He was highly impressed after a planetary session. Rated the new BCO Ortho on a par with the outgoing BGO Ortho. I can already hear a stampede starting for these. :)

Would i be allowed to post a link to the review seeing as its on another forum?

Dam636 started a thread here discussing the review back in July :smiley:

Here is a direct link:

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Board/Eyepieces/Number/5324232/page/0/view/collapsed/sb/5/o/o/fpart/all

Archived