Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Baader Classic Orthos Incoming

FLO

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is the barlow compatable with the Hyperions or just the Orthos?

Barlows generally work best with simpler designs like orthos and Plossls but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the majority of 1.25" eyepieces, including Hyperions.

I am confident Baader's new Classic series will be popular. Clearly a lot of thought has gone into the range (three orthos, a Plossl, barlow and a turret) and they offer high quality at an affordable price so provide an excellent upgrade path for astronomers looking to improve on the basic eyepieces supplied with most telescopes. So I am sure we will be reading reviews, comments and feedback from owners so will soon know which combinations work best :smiley:

Also, John has kindly offered to review them. John wrote the Vixen LVW vs Baader Hyperion Eyepieces review for us and is well known here at SGL so we know he will be thorough and objective. We will send him a full set as soon as they arrive :icon_salut:

Barlows generally work best with simpler designs like orthos and Plossls but I see no reason why it wouldn't work with the majority of 1.25" eyepieces, including Hyperions.

The thread of the lens section appears to be very long. I wonder if that won't cause problems with some other eyepieces because it won't screw in far enough and therefore won't sit in the diagonal or focus tube correctly (presumably the new BCOs are threaded suitably for this) in which case you'd only have a barlow that worked at 2.25x rather than 1.3x as well, but that's got to be fairly easy to check once they arrive.

James

The thread of the lens section appears to be very long. I wonder if that won't cause problems with some other eyepieces because it won't screw in far enough and therefore won't sit in the diagonal or focus tube correctly (presumably the new BCOs are threaded suitably for this) in which case you'd only have a barlow that worked at 2.25x rather than 1.3x as well, but that's got to be fairly easy to check once they arrive.

Good point James, I hadn't noticed that. I guess we'll have to wait and see :smiley:

If you order one of the orthos, when is payment taken? Now or when shipped?

The payment is made at the point of order. We do it this way for security reasons, any other way would require us to hold your payment details. Our website is modern with a full and valid SSL 123 Security Certificate for secure communications, all data to and from the site is encrypted (this can be checked by clicking on the 'Secured by Thawte' logo in the left-hand column). But no website is entirely secure so we do not hold customer payment details. If someone were to break in (never happened) they would not find your payment details.

Alternatively, if you email our helpdesk (email address in Signature below) with your requirements we will happily prepare your order then contact you for payment when it is ready for dispatch.

Or if you click on the 'Notify me when available' button (in the product description) our website will automatically send you an email when the item is available from stock.

HTH,

Steve

I know what you mean but 1.25" orthos and Plossls aren't heavy. We won't know until they arrive but I reckon the combined weight will be around the same as one of the ultra-wide 'hand-grenades' favoured by some here :smiley:

very true. we'll have to see what people make of it in the field. still, i know it's more money, but this seems to be a much better bet for a beginners eyepiece set than those sets you get with half a dozen filters that never get used and a 2.5mm plossl and things. i want.

I am not keen on coloured filter sets either. That is why FLO doesn't offer them. I find what little benefit they provide (enhanced contrast) is negated by the loss of light. But that's just me, some people like them.

We are doing our best to obtain that now. If anyone finds the eye-relief or specific FOV listed somewhere please let me know :smiley:

I've been scouring the web a bit on these lately. I've seen a 50 degree apparent field of view mentioned and eye relief that looks like the standard for the orthoscopic design - around 75% of the focal length. The eye lenses of the orthos seem to be somewhat larger than the Baader Genuine Orthos - that of the 6mm being around twice the diameter of the same focal length BGO. This information seemed to relate to some pre-production samples though so may not be what actually hits the dealers shelves.

We will see for sure soon :smiley:

Archived