NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Oct 1972

Ibbo!

What were you doing?

3-10-1972 I had just bought my first proper telescope a 4" Charles Frank Saturn with 1 eyepiece giving x31 it cost me £4

the following night I got first light it was Jupiter.

I still have the main mirror and was wanting to retube it for the ruby anniversary on the 4th so tomorrows job is get on with it.

how I laughed at the sighting arrangement 2 bits of stick really,were amazed at the views with the upgrade of eyepiece (a 1/2 " Ramsden) and stood in absolute panic as the telescope fell off the rickety table and the precious mirror rolled down the pavement.

In school I made an equatorial mount for it metalwork(wish I could find it) is helped for my coursework in 2 exams Metalwork of course and my pride and joy a GSC O Level in Astronomy in 1975.

As more telescopes were purchased the old 4 got neglected and if I remember correctly last used as a finder for the huge 8" f13 reflector.

despite its bumps and bruises this mirror has not been recoated in its lifetime and will hopefully will see starlight again very soon.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

... despite its bumps and bruises this mirror has not been recoated in its lifetime and will hopefully will see starlight again very soon.

That's a nice story :smiley:

Apparently there are still the odd one or two knocking about. This advert made me smile.... "we found it in a Scout hall during a clearing out." I can just imagine the young scouts queuing impatiently for their turn to take their first look through a real telescope! I wonder how many of them went on to become astronomers?

post-20706-0-51808100-1349392592.jpg

Good luck with the restoration. :smiley:

I had just been posted to West Berlin and the barracks was just across the road from Spandau Prison, a two year posting in a fantastic city. I was living in private accommodation just off the Kurfürstendamm and enjoyed life to the full. The only intrusion in that life was work and plenty of it, train guard on the British Military Train from Berlin to Helmstedt, guarding Rudolf Hess in Spandau Prison and all the other duties associated with a posting there. Sport was sailing on the Harvel and swimming in the Olympic Stadium and orienteering around the Grunewald Forest. Visits to East Berlin was a must and a Sunday stroll along the 17th of June Street, to the Siegessäule, past the Soviet War Memorial to the Brandenburg Gate and a look over the wall into the East, all in all a nice time :)

Jim

My planet had just been invaded by the Kraags and I was on my way to earth in an escape pod, shaped like an egg...

Seriously, I was also just about 2 at that point but your story is great. Good luck with refurbing the scope.

I had just been bitten by the bug ( aged 16 ) and was probably standing in our front garden looking through my cheapo Prinz 2" refractor at Jupiter.

How the time flies......................... :grin: :grin: :grin:

Born in 58 then ?....definately a vintage year (though I'm biased!)

I was probably trying to persuade my parents to by me a telescope for my birthday in November. Though my ambitions were rather conservative in those days.

I eventualy received a 2" table top refractor, which I have to say was pretty useless. It wasn't until a couple of years later that I got a "real" telescope, a 3" refractor on a GEM mount. It came from Dixons and although at the time it was my pride and joy, looking back on it...it wasn't really that good either! Back in those days there really wasn't anything decent available in the UK . I remember looking at the occasional copy of Sky & Telescope that I managed to get hold of (again..even this was difficult to come by)..I used to dream of one day owning a Celestron SCT...I seem to remember that at the time even in the USA these retailed for many thousands of pounds..

It really is amasing how things have changed and how spolit we are now for good quality and reasonably priced equipment.

Steve

Archived