NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Middlesbrough

Boyleyuk

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HI and welcome to the forum. In addition to the advice I am sure you will receive on member's favourite scopes that you should get etc, may I suggest that as part of your research, that you go along to your local astro club to participate in the public viewing sessions. This will provide you with the opportunity to actual look through some of this kit to see if the views meet with your expectations. In addition, it will allow you to also see the size of some of these scopes up close which is important should you wish to transport it to a dark site. Set up times, cool down times along with different eyepieces will all have an impact on which scope you end up going for and the type of view they can provide. Going along to such evening events gives you the chance to ask the scopes owners questions that come to mind whilst using the kit which can make a lot of difference in the final choice. Budget will always play a part but in my view it is sometimes worth saving that little bit longer to get the scope that you really want rather than lose money regularly upgrading. In fact many astro clubs allow their members to either hire or borrow kit to use at home which might be a way of helping to keep those purchasing temptations at bay! :grin: :grin:

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hello and welcome. There's as much help and advice on here as you'll ever need. If you've got some idea of what you're particularly interested in and budget there's plenty on here who would be only too willing to help. The only thing that can't be done is to arrange for clear skies every now and again :smiley:

Good luck

Jason

Hi Boyleyuk and welcome to the lounge, I second James's advice and offer the suggestion to considering binoculars as your first step to getting to know your way around the skies, 10x50 binos will show you an amazing amount and when you decide on your main instrument the binos will serve as a good grab and go for the gaps in those 'few' nights of cloud cover.

Archived