Hello from Stockport

rapidx

Hi All,

I just wanted to say hello!

I'm a complete beginner from Stockport. At 31 I've finally decided to take up astronomy. I live in a flat so no garden which is the only problem.

Thought I would join as I keep seeing lots of interesting posts on here and make some connections in the area :-)

David

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David of Stockport, welcome to SGL from a wet and not very warm Bulgaria. Only just flown back looks like the English weather followed me. SGL is a really good site enjoy and join in on the forums, it don't matter if you know a little or a lot, sometimes it's the little things that make the difference.

Alan.

Hi David and welcome to the forum. One useful tool for learning the night sky and where objects might be, is a free piece of planetarium software called "Stellarium" which you can download from here. It can be configured from your viewing location and has plenty of features on it to keep you busy when the clouds roll in (....and stay in :grin: ). One useful feature is the advance date/time calendar that will enable you to jump forward to see what's coming up and where so that you can plan future viewing sessions. It's free and very popular with members here and will certainly help you place the constellations, learn the names and positions of the better known stars and to recognise the movements of planets etc. Hope that gets you off to a good start.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Archived