New in town

parkes59

Hello stargazers across the planet,my name is Chris,52 yrs young,living in Central Coast New South Wales Australia.Born and raised in PARKES NSW,home of the big dish.Both parents worked on the dish at different times of my youth,so have always had an interest in astronomy.nothing beats laying out under the stars in the bush with no lights for miles,just stargazing,love it.Anyway havnt done it for years,and its about time I did,so joining you guys and girls to learn and enjoy the beauty of space.Probobly need a telescope for that, lol.I am sure by learning from this forum,I will understand enough to buy the correct gear.Thanks for your time Chris.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi hrs and welcome to the forum. Binoculars are a good start to learning the night sky and of course can be used with the scope later on. There's no rush to buy as the stars aren't going anywhere but some good research (questions on here) and if at all possible, attending a couple of star parties or local observation groups to get your eye in on some of the kit to see what best meets your expectations. There are many brochures and advertisements that will throw a lot of specifications at you which will mean nothing unless you have created your own datum point from which to hang these details from and what matters most is the view that you want to see and if the budget permits go for the biggest scope you fancy. If you buy from a well known manufacturer and astronomy doesn't work out for you, you can expect to get a good percentage of your investment back and so the true cost of trying astronomy out is minimalised. The other advantage of seeing these scopes in the fleash as it were, is that you also make a judgement on set up times, mobility (if you need to go to a dark site) cool down times (reflectors and in particular cassegrains need a little bit of time for their mirrors to cool down, refractors are virtually always good to go from the box). Hope my suggestions help you further along the road.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Archived