NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good Evening

Marceagle

Evening all from a cloudy Liverpool. Just joined as I have recently bought my first ever Telescope (celestron astromaster 114EQ). Not the greatest am sure but it's all new to me and am pleased with it. Any tips on local astronomy groups and good viewing places in Merseyside ?

Thanks in advance

Marc

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum. Now I know Celestron supply some planetarium software with your new scope but you might want to consider downloading a free software program called 'Stellarium' which you can view here . It's used by many here on the forum and has plenty of features including an advance date/time calendar so you can plan your observations in advance and will let you know what is coming up and when. It can also be configured to your exact location and the sky view itself can be controlled to show constellation names and highlight galaxies and nebulae etc. In fact there is a load of things to explore which is just as well when the clouds come in. In any case it's free and fun to use so why not give it a try.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum.

Hello and welcome. I have the astromaster 130 and I have really enjoyed the views I've got from it. Have you observed the Moon yet?

Thank you and yes I have observed the moon, it was fantastic. Really pleased with the scope, need some more lenses mind as I only have the two that came with it, 10mm & 20mm. Could anyone recommend where to buy accessories ? Am I correct in thinking the lower the number mm lense the more powerful it is ?

Please excuse the stupid questions but at 28 I am a late comer I think but am really keen to get involved.

Thanks

Hi Marc and welcome to the forum. Now I know Celestron supply some planetarium software with your new scope but you might want to consider downloading a free software program called 'Stellarium' which you can view here . It's used by many here on the forum and has plenty of features including an advance date/time calendar so you can plan your observations in advance and will let you know what is coming up and when. It can also be configured to your exact location and the sky view itself can be controlled to show constellation names and highlight galaxies and nebulae etc. In fact there is a load of things to explore which is just as well when the clouds come in. In any case it's free and fun to use so why not give it a try.

Clear skies for now and enjoy the forum.

Thanks for the heads up for software, I shall grab that now. Loving the forum all ready.

Thanks

Hi Marc

Welcome to the SGL.

Regarding new eyepieces, try the link to FLO (the banner at the top of the page) they're pretty helpful bunch.

Do you know what focal lengths you are after? If not there is plenty of advice to be had by asking on the eyepiece discussion section or in the beginners help and advice section.

My advice would be to really get used to using the scope first. Eyepieces are a kinda personal choice, and make no mistake there s a huge selection to choose from.

In the mean time enjoy your scope t will show you a great deal of wonders of the night sky.

hi and welcome to sgl. as you said the lower the number the more powerfull is correct, bst explorers are very good from skys the limit, also ts hr planetary eye pieces from modern astronomy are very good both cost around £50 each

Hi Marc and welcome to SGL, although you may have read that aperture is King, when you get your first scope it is the wow factor that counts, no matter what size it is. The enjoyment you get from your first experiences will stay with you for the rest of your life, enjoy :)

John.

Archived