Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A lengthy summer silence

stolenfeather

During the summer, I leave my remote teaching community to be reunited with friends and family. Once there I indulge in their company. I also spend many days camping, hiking, kayaking and simply remaining outdoors. Unfortunately, this means that I am far away from both my telescope (except for a much smaller one than usual) and the Internet. This all to say that my lengthy silence has come to an abrupt stop since summer has come to a close and school is starting up once again. I am looking forward to learning / sharing with all of you once more. I have to admit that the recent changes on this forum and my memory of using the Internet suffered a "momentary lapse of reason" when attempting to write this entry but like riding a bicycle, it came back to me. I missed all of your company recently (August 25th) when Neil Armstrong made one other " step and final leap". I was crushed since he had been a hero for me since the tender age of grade school , when my primary teacher introduced him to the class. Many around me didn't understand my more somber attitude so yes,.. I missed this forum greatly.

My return to Stargazers Lounge is one to be celebrated but none as grand as my reunion with my telescope! The poor "little guy" had been grossly neglected over the past two months so I dusted it off yesterday night. Quite a momentous occasion since it also marked the presence of the blue moon. Its light was blinding to say the least. I was easily mesmerized by its presence especially since on numerous occasions, the sight was enhanced by the passing of Canadian Geese overhead. Some of my grade 8 and 9 science students came to join me. unfortunately, the glare of the moon hid all other viewing prospects but we eagerly tried our hand at capturing the moon with our,.... Smart phones! Really we did since the students had nothing else to use. I gladly grabbed my husband's Nexus III and took the following shot. Not bad! Actually, if truth be known it's the best I have captured so far!

285882_10151013542216286_1390034431_o.jpg

Yes! Can you believe it? This was taken with an Android phone!

Isabelle

Actually Andrew,

I think that being unplugged to the rest of the world is something that I actually NEED! I must admit that once returned, my transition period was quite hard since I actually suffered from insomnia the first few days. The first night back,.. I didn't sleep one wink ALL night! I have now recuperated fully but a part of me would return to being "out there" in a second.

It's like two different worlds and I strongly recommend it to anyone. Didn't Socrates say and encouraged the philosophy to "know thyself". :)

Archived