NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

What did you make of Horizon?

sallystar

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much of the contents of the show have been covered in the past, most notably by Mr Cox. The 3D maps were incredible. I get tired of hearing moaning blumming hippies slaging of human beings as destructive killer apes..l think we are amazing creatures, how did we work out all of that, incredible.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Suffice to say there is more we don't know yet, than we do know.

These programmes keep our interest alive, but not much else in the way of knowledge comes from them.

Science will close the gap, but only in small increments I think.

Ron.

A great program that helps us understand just how vast space is.

For me the program really highlighted just how far we've come with the telescope in all its forms.

In the early days humanity could see a few local stars and that was about it. Slowly as the decades past we picked up the details of the outer limits of our own system, the famous nebula's and galaxies. In the past 100 years we've gone from local galaxy clusters right out to the background microwave radiation generated at the time of the big bang, a quantum leap in the history of the telescope. Most of it to prove astronomical theories.

Where will telescope development be fifty years from now? Just how far or detailed will our astronomical map be?

If the universe is expanding ever faster, that means that it will never collapse back in to a single point. Eventually, all the matter in the universe will end up as iron and even longer Proton decay will mean we are left with a totally dead universe. It's a one shot event and when that happens, nothing happens again, ever.

Better believe that there is more than one universe, otherwise in about 100 trillion years that is it.

The bit I did like was where that guy had a load of camera's on his equitorial mount in the middle Desert photographing the milkyway.

I agree I really enjoyed seeing his camera array and especially his wonderfull images. Shame there wasn't more about his equipment and how he was imaging. His name is Nick Risinger if you want to find out more...

I agree I really enjoyed seeing his camera array and especially his wonderfull images. Shame there wasn't more about his equipment and how he was imaging. His name is Nick Risinger if you want to find out more...

You can his photos as an app for ipad/iphone. It's called Sky Survey & is only £1.99. I've already got Sky Safari but this one looks worth having as well.

Peter

Basically 30 mins of info padded out to 60 mins with CG's that didn't do anything to explain. give it 2 out of 10

I agree for example the scenes at the windfarm, lots of repeat focus pulls etc, nowhere near the depth and quality of the BBC Horizon programs of old.

I must be getting old!!

Archived