Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

300P and back seat of a car ?

Hi All

I have been on the look out for a 12" solid tube dob for little while now and was under the impression one would fit across the back seat of my car. I am sure other members have fit a solid tube 300P across their back seats so I was 1) wondering what cars they have and 2) is there a method to it?

I understand the OTA length to be 1420mm not the focal length 1500mm but this would still have an over hang of 2" or so over the back seat of my car (ford fusion). Have other members had similar problems and did you over come them. Before you say.... I have tried folding the 1/3 seat down and it won't fit length ways either and no I can't afford a bigger car :p

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can you fold the passenger seat down? Will it fit by folding down the passenger seat and the seat behind it?

If so then the mount can go behind the drivers seat.

The only downside is that only the driver can be in the car. No passengers!

Can you fold the passenger seat down? Will it fit by folding down the passenger seat and the seat behind it?

If so then the mount can go behind the drivers seat.

The only downside is that only the driver can be in the car. No passengers!

Not having the OTA to hand I have had to make do with a tape measure and my imagination which is never ideal I know but as far as I can make out even if I drop the smaller rear seat it looks like it's going to be a tight fit with where I have the driving seat. My original plan was to lay it across in the boot but figured this was always going to be ambitious and I was sure other members have said laying it across the rear seat using the boot space then for the rocker box and other bits would be OK leaving the front seat for a passenger.

Sorry Ganymeade12 I miss read your post. I need the passenger as the plan was to have the dob for an up and coming star party where someone is coming with me. I'm sure if no-one was with me this could be an option but not part of the plan.

I wanted the larger 12" for star parties where your there for several nights so makes any hassle of transporting it more worth while. I'd been offered a flexdob last month but prefer the idea of a solid OTA and remembered members commenting they have been able to fit solid tubes across back seats so never gave it a second thought. I'd found a 12" solid tube and planned to pick it up today but the wife had the bright idea to check if it fits first. I'm sure if I had just gone I would have made the OTA fit and just gave the wife the bus fare home :evil:

A solid tube 12" Skywatcher dobsonian is around 145cm long with end cap on. (well, 144.5cm to be precise)

When measuring the interior cabin of your car measure from the widest points of the passenger door (you know, the buckety handle bit when you find sticky sweet wappers . :D

I have just checked and I have 1298mm door to door across the back seat so for those out there who have a ford fusion or fiesta a 300P isn't going to fit across the back seat. I double checked with the 1/3 seat down and there is a good possibility it might fit length ways 1435 after all. It looks like it may be tight on the width though as the gap between the upright 2/3 seat and wheel arch is 300mm. As long as the OTA isn't wider than 300mm I might be cooking with gas. Dose anyone have the correct objective diameter ? I guess if worst came to the worst I could always fold down the 2/3 seat but I also have to consider all the camping gear I have to pack in for star parties.

What a nightmare! 360mm isn't going to fit so I would have to fold the 2/3 side down. I don't know how that would work for packing camping gear in as well. Never mind that will teach me to check things in the future. I'm just not a big fan of flexdobs but I now wish I'd just gone with that when I had the chance. :embarrassed: :embarrassed: :embarrassed:

I have the 300p FlexTube which makes fitting it in the car a lot easier. I removed the silly rubber bump stops from the trusses and it fits upright on the rear seat, albeit slightly wedged against the roof lining and that's in a Ford Kuga. Retacted dims are 365mm dia x 900mm.

The real problem bit is the base which at 638mm dia x 820mm high is a real lump to squeeze in. It's a shame they didn't make it easier to 'flat pack' like the 350 & 400p bases.

Russell

just a thought, what about the 250 solid tube dob?...............

The plan was to get the biggest scope I could for star parties. I was aware the 300P was big but didn't take in to consideration how small the Fusion is. On the log book it's actually classed as an estate and the wife sure dose fit a lot of shopping in the thing. To be fair it looks like I would be able to fit the 300P in but there won't be a lot of room for camping kit once the rocker box, EP case and other bit and bobs are in.

Not that it matters now as I think I have upset the chap I was planning to have it off. I didn't intend to mess them around but it's hard to tell if these things will fit just going of the measurements on the skywatcher site.

I purchased a Heritage 130P a while back and it put me right off the idea of truss dobs Russell. I know the larger dobs are a different ball game but I'm just not a fan of them. Looking back I was offered the 12" flexdob at the same price as a solid tube despite the difference in new prices so there wouldn't have been much in it price wise but at the time I was sure a 12" solid dob would fit across the back seat and solid was the way I wanted to go. I doubt I will find a flexdob again for the same price so it looks like I fluffed up. Such is life!

It is never going to fit across the rear seat no matter what I do as the space just isn't there.

I just don't know what to do for the best. A 12" dob is the biggest scope I'd happily manage in and out the house but I just have visions of it turning in to a nightmare every time I want to take it to a SP or dark skies. We had an Astra estate and 10" dob for the last SP we went to and we barely got every thing in and that was with the scope fitting across the back seat.

Well, I guess that's it then. If there is not room for the scope with a passenger then you're going to have to use the roof rack. Make sure you dress him (or her) up warm, won't you?

James

Archived