Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which low power TV eyepiece?

Mr Moff

Hiya guys, I have a dilemma. I've been using the Hyperion 31mm for a while now and it's been pretty good. I wasn't that bothered about the outer edges not being sharp.

The problem is now I've started using Televue eyepieces I've got used to them being sharp right to the edge.

I've been trying to decide between,

The nagler 22mm

The panoptic 27mm

I'd love the Ethos 21mm but it's out of reach so it looks like that's out of the window.

Which would you pick between the 2?

I suppose it comes down to what size tfov you prefer Danny, 68° v 82°. I personally would opt for the 22mm Nagler as it produces the same tfov as the 27mm Panoptic. Contrast will also be slightly better with the Nagler with the increase in magnification.

Another to consider is the Explore Scientific 24mm 82°. It is getting very favourable reviews on CN and about half the price of the 22mm Nagler. I brought the 30mm version back from the US and had a brief look through it last night. Although not a proper first light, I seen enough to tell me its a very serious alternative to the 31mm Nagler. With the current sale in the US until the end of the month, these are an absolute steal!

I've owned a Nagler T4 22mm and currently have a T5 20mm. Both superb. The T4 has longer eye relief and a larger eye lens so can seem more "immersive". Panoptics are very good too but I'm an ultra-wide field junkie :grin:

At 1200 focal length I would not perhaps consider the 27mm Panoptic, but would consider, in the Panoptic range, a 19mm 1.25" Panoptic, which will provide you with 63x mag, making for a good, sharp and quite wide field low power eyepiece. However as others have commented, if your budget can stretch, then a 20mm or 22mm nagler will make for an excellent choice.

I am very pleased with my Naglers - 17 and 12 mm, they are spectacular. But you need to practice using them. They blackout and kidney bean unless the eye is in the right position. Master this and you will set. And they hold their value well too :)

I use a 20T5 for wide views with my SCTs and it never disappoints (as for the weather....), although I expect either of the Naglers are a sound choice depending on how much eye relief you need. I don't find the 20 short on ER by any means, but my shorter EPs are ES82... :D (which some find short on ER, but I've not found it a problem)

The "Instadjust" adjustable eye guard does seem to create a few camps, some like, some dont, and others ( like me ) don't pay it any mind at all.

Me too, as long as the instadjust is in the right place for the individual, it works a treat. Too far in gives 'kidney beaning' as the eye is inside the eyerelief, too far out and the whole field cannot be seen. You soon find what works, this will vary between each person.

If the instadjust is too slack or tight, there is a DIY fix.

Havn't tried the sliding eyeguard on the Delos.

Regards, Ed.

I have not used a T4 Nagler but have a 26mm T5 and have used a few Panoptics (22mm, 24mm, 35mm).

Out of the two mentioned I'd go for the 22mm Nagler as stated by others.

What I'd suggest you do is think longer term as this is a fairly big purchase assuming you are like most of us (i.e. not with unlimited funds - if only it were not like this). The 22mm Nagler would be a perfect fit with your 8" scopes. However, if you increase your aperture in the near future you'll increase your focal length (almost certainly) and this may mean a more suitable focal length will be in the 25-30mm range. On this basis I'd recommend either the 26mm or 31mm Nagler T5. My 26mm is for me the perfect eyepiece. It has everything just right; the field, the eye relief, the sharpness and contrast and the weight is not OTT. In fast newts/dobs, I feel the 24mm Panoptic is hard to beat for a wonderfully sharp, wide field which does not affect balance. Whatever you say about TV in terms of whether or not they are better than Pentax etc. is that they provide superb choice at most magnification points (wide field finder, workhorse/mid-range, high power). This is the blummin' problem when we start to try and choose the best for us! :smiley:

I suspect you will still use your 25mm Plossl as this will possibly be better on the moon etc (I still prefer TV Plossls and BGOs to even my Ethos on the moon and planets).

Whatever you choose, I can guarantee that at this sort of quality, you won't be disappointed but I can also guarantee that you always be thinking what if.....this (i.e. choice (and of course cloudy skies)) is what feeds our occularholicism.

I had a very decent 26mm Vixen-made Celestron Plossl next to the Nagler 22mm T4, and on the moon, the Nagler won in terms of sharpness. I do not know whether it would have beaten the 25mm Ortho (Circle-T) that I sold with my 6" F/8 Newtonian (0.965" fitting, so a bit of a hassle to use in the C8, especially now: having to fit two adapters into the 2" EP holder to fit the ortho).

Archived