Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hi everybody

Dukey182

Hi stargazers I'm like from Walsall. I've been into stargazing for many years but I've not really had a clue then I dropped on this site and everyone seems amazing and so helpful so here I am and happy to be here :) I started of with a cheap scope from a camara shop not bad tbf could see Jupiter with it and it's moons but then I wanted to do more so I bought a saben big boss and that was a BIG mistake from what I have heard and its not doing what I want. So here's where you guys come in can you maybe point me to nice midrange scope for observing. But I would like to go on to photographs later on and some good lenses too. I've been looking at the skywatcher explorer 200p I this a good scope??

Thanks again and it's nice to be apart of the stargazers lounge

Luke

Hi Luke and welcome to the forum. You don't state a budget but if you want to make a real start in astronomy then you can't go wrong with the SkyWatcher 200P, the U.K's best selling scope which is detailed here. Easy to use, great aperture and where all the money is spent on where it matters - aperture! As far as astro imaging is concerned, it is possible on this scope to use a webcam for solar system objects (moon and planets) whereby you sift through a short video that you have made of say the moon, subtract the poor frames and stack the best frames on top of each other to make a final composite image. Imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) such as Galaxies and nebulae, require a different technique that in the main will requires an equatorial mounted setup compared to the dobsonian scope suggested above. Imaging DSO's starts with the mount because DSO's are typically very faint and so therefore require very accurate tracking to help facilitate long exposures in order to capture their structure and detail. If imaging is going to be your future objective in astronomy, may I suggest that you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) which can be viewed here. It will advise you in more detail of what kit you need and why you need it to be able to take the level of images that will best meet your expectations. Modestly priced, it will help you formulate an accurate budget from the outset and will also save you money in helping you to avoid buying the wrong kit. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

Hi James,

My first choice was an explorer 200p but i chose a sw127 goto over the 200 simply for the ease of moving it about and the GOTO (bad light pollution here so seeing stars is a plus never mind star hopping).

Guess which scope is best depends on your circumstances...

Edit: however, if was to buy another scope, then them big dobs do look good :).

Hi guys thanks for the welcome and the advice.

James I don't really have a budget but I just don't want to go to mad but from what your saying I can't really go wrong. As a beginner it's hard to not make a wrong choice so thanks :) can anyone surgest some good eye pieces too sorry to be a pest

Luke

Archived