Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Arrived!!!!!!

Well Mr Fedex man came knocking at 8'o clock this morning with 3 boxes. I expected the ota to be packed separately, but I wasn't expecting the weight of the mount and tripod to be as heavy as it was. Blimey it weighs a ton. I am more than used to carrying heavy items though as I used to play drums in a band and was always carting my gear to rehearsals and gigs. I must say though that in hindsight, yeah, it needs to be a meaty/chunky affair as it has to carry the ota, counterweights and associated items and track as smoothly as possible, so it is reasuring to know that the tripod/mount combo is going to be up to the job.

I suppose I was using my 127 SLT as a barometer, but the new scope is a total step up in every regard. This is a true telescope whereas my 127 SLT while being a very good piece of kit could be regarded as a bit of a toy in comparison. The usual first light report as soon as I can suss the thing out and we get some clear weather (doubtful going on current form). I know it is the kiss of death now and we all will be clouded out for weeks to come. Sorry to you all in advance. ;)

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh sounds nice! Aren't deliveries like that great! I'm a noob with my first telescope and i think the clouds are my fault, sorry folks :D I've had about 30 mins of clear night skies since i got it. Now have a strong dislike of these things in the sky.

Hey Jules / sunshine185.

I'm just in Halifax, so not too far from you both. Thought that we had brought back the good weather from Majorca, but it seems to have been rather short lived. Well this rubbish weather gives me the opportunity to get to grips with the new toy and become fully conversant with it's functions before the nice clear, dark skies finally return.

And yes. There will be pics. :grin:

This damn cloud belt seems to be forever over the north west, I keep looking with envy at sat24 at the clear skies in other parts of the UK, hope or time will come soon. I'm using mobile version so I can't see any sigs, so, what you got in the boxes?

Had my first dry run of setting it up today in my living room. Reasuring to know that Celestron are still doing rubbish, amateur instruction manuals though. I like to think I am pretty good at sussing out new pieces of gear (whatever they may be) and telescopes are no exception, but I think Celestron yet again have left out crucial parts of assembly instructions and therefore you are left to work it out for yourself. Goodness only knows what would happen if a complete novice got their hands on it. They would struggle big time.

One thing that is not open to question however is the build quality. The tripod, mount and ota are built like an outside privvy. Don't think i'll need my anti vibration pads with this one. Will be a trip to B&Q for a couple of plastic tool boxes so I can store the smaller pieces more easily. I will then be able to carry the individual parts into the garden in manageable pieces and set it up there.

One other thing. The CG5 box came with 2xcounter weights included in the main box, but I also got another box with an additional weight. On the promotional blurb it shows just two weights. Does anyone who has this set-up know if this is correct and is the 3rd weight required if you use any additional pieces of gear on the scope???? Would love to know.

Well. Tomorrow (weather permitting) i'll be moving into the garden and firing it up. Luckily we are still clouded out, so I am not losing any crucial observing time. Gives me a chance to work out the operation of it (Thanks Celestron, "not" for your lousy instructions)..... I'm sure you will redeem yourselves once I get the scope up and running.

+ 1 for piccies!

+2 for pics.

Us astronomer type LOVE to see pics of the boxes when they arrive and then the "un-boxing"

You have CLEARLY broke the cardinal rule and have not taken such images.

That is very much frowned upon.

On a serious note................NICE SCOPE.

Now you have a 9.25..................your 127 will be lucky if you ever even say hello to it again.

My Heritage 130P has not seen the light of day (or night) since i got my 8SE Dec 2011).

Which in my mind says to me that Darwin's theorie's of natural selection and survival of the fittest, are so true.

Oh yes I have. Just haven't posted them yet. Mainly took the pics for the prime reason that If I needed to repack it at some point I would know how to do it, but posting them on SGL seems to give everyone a buzz. There is something strangely exciting/reasuring when boxes of new gear see the light of day for the first time. I love seeing other peoples. It is truly brilliant.

Oh yes I have. Just haven't posted them yet. Mainly took the pics for the prime reason that If I needed to repack it at some point I would know how to do it, but posting them on SGL seems to give everyone a buzz. There is something strangely exciting/reasuring when boxes of new gear see the light of day for the first time. I love seeing other peoples. It is truly brilliant.

In the immortal words of Robin Williams (kind of):

"I love the smell of fresh telescopes in the morning".

Archived