And it's a hello from me.

oobydooby

Just a brief introduction. I'm oobydooby, you can call me ooby or oobs and I hail from bonnie Dundee Scotland. I currently own a Celestron Nexstar 6se which is the largest size of scope I can manage in a suitcase. I cannot drive so I have to travel as short a distance I can with my equipment, hence the suitcase limitations. My observations are mainly taken from within my allotment which is partially shielded from house lights by trees. (not ideal but the best I can do at the moment.)

Due to a visual impairment, (The reason I cannot drive), I have difficulty when using the eyepieces on my scope, so I am in the process of buying a video camera so I can use my laptop. I am particularly interested in the solar system and have made a solar filter which attaches to the front of my scope. I hope soon that I will be able to use my equipment to get some good pictures of solar activity, (If the clouds clear soon).

I shall now stop rambling. :cool:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the forum. Great idea about the video camera to help you with your visual impairment and there will be plenty of advice on here as to which camera might work best for you.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum.

James

Hi and welcome to the SGL.

Given your visual impairments and mention of video astronomy have you looked at the Watec video intergrating cameras? I have an older model (the Watec 102n) which permits up to 10 sec exposures before being displayed directly to a TV screen. I use a small battery powered DVD player with a video in jack to display the pictures. The results are quite remarkable and far more detail can be seen in the images than would ever be seen visually in the same scope. I use a big brother of the 6SE (Nexstar 11 GPS) so can confirm that the Alt Az mounting is more than up to the job and this would allow you to also pursue many deep sky objects as well.

Clear skies,

Matthew

Archived