SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

October South West Starparty - including during and after discussions :-)

Greg

Happened to be at this site 2weeks ago and was treated to a very pleasant view of the milky way on the way to the toilet at about 12am. Toilet block does throw out a fair bit of light but still I could see the double cluster naked eye on my way back from the loo (after dark adaption was destroyed).

On the EHU field the northern hedge is well placed and offered a lot of protection from the elements.

Nice pub down in the village and generally very pretty. The staff in the local convenience store were really friendly but eyeball the opening hours on your way in so that you don't get caught out.

Would like to join to you all but only just picked up on this thread and need to negotiate!

Anthony

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they're a working farm they're probably harvesting like maniacs at the moment. Everyone around here (I'm not far from the site) seems to be doing the same. I could hear farm machinery running until the small hours when I was out last night.

James

Good question. There is a thread here that discussed it.

One thing I'd be conscious of it minimising the amount of light you generate - torch light (red cover), car lights and your arrival time as well as every time you need to get in and out of the cover during the night.

Good question. There is a thread here that discussed it.

http://stargazerslou...rehensive-list/

One thing I'd be conscious of it minimising the amount of light you generate - torch light (red cover), car lights and your arrival time as well as every time you need to get in and out of the cover during the night.

And if you use a laptop.... Red film for the screen..

I've been on the phone to the site this morning and there are only about 5 pitches left...

So anyone thinking about attending needs to book asap...

Greg

Are the dates and venue as per your 1st post in this thread Greg ?

I wonder if they could fit my caravan onto one of the pitches that's left ?

Are the dates and venue as per your 1st post in this thread Greg ?

I wonder if they could fit my caravan onto one of the pitches that's left ?

Yes John dates are ther same... I would have thought you'd get a caravan on the pitch without any problem.

Greg

Yes John dates are ther same... I would have thought you'd get a caravan on the pitch without any problem.

Greg

Thanks Greg - I've just booked for 2 nights (the Friday and Saturday) :grin:

Looking forward to it !!!

luckily theres a telescope clinic at my local group and i will learn to collminate there was planning on a box of jaffacakes and charm at party to get help but you are all saved

Sam, I have a Cheshire and a laser collimating eypiece available if required..

If anyone requires pure de ionised water with a tds of 0 I will be bringing some with me... Usefull for rinsing mirrors etc...

Just bring a clean container..

I can bring 500 litres if required!!

Is that what we're calling Devon's finest scrumpy nowadays eh? :grin:

James

Just booked the thursday night as well. It'll increase the odds for a clear night :grin:

I'll set up on thursday and the family will join me on friday evening.

It'll be my daughters 9th birthday on the Saturday.

She wanted to come though, as she is keen as mustard on all things astronomy related.

How big a cake shall we get :p

Just booked the thursday night as well. It'll increase the odds for a clear night :grin:

I'll set up on thursday and the family will join me on friday evening.

It'll be my daughters 9th birthday on the Saturday.

She wanted to come though, as she is keen as mustard on all things astronomy related.

How big a cake shall we get :p

Bless.. a big one me thinks..

I'll be there Thursday to set up ..I'll have to nip off Friday AM for an hour or so to do a few jobsbut will be back for mid morning...

Someone have the kettle on for when I get back!!

I'll probably take my 9 yr old lad out of school for the one day as it will be an educational trip for him..

Wife and daughter will probably join us Friday night or saturday AM..

Well..... Someone has to do the washing up!!!

Incoming........

Archived