Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

October South West Starparty - including during and after discussions :-)

Greg

great weekend great people would have been worth it even if the skys wer not playing ball,best i have ever seen jupiter didnt realise so much detail could be possible and many more great sights big thanks to greg for organising it and the local dog for relieving itself on my dob which greg also washed ;) bob was generous enough to let me peak through his 20" and was unforgettable.look forward to the next one and thanks all for a great 1st star party and b day :):):)

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm really sorry that I was not able to get to this event in the end :embarrassed:

Very pleased that those who did make it had such a good time though :smiley:

Thanks to Greg for making it happen - hopefully I'll be able to make the next one !

Gutted....Was planning on coming up for an afternoon and first part of the night. Looking at the weather on Thursday and Friday decided not to. Wish I had now... oh well hindsight is a wonderful thing, maybe next time. Im glad that all that went had a good time and that viewing conditions turned out for the better. Hopefully I will get round to meeting some of you at some other time.

Big thanks to Greg for organising the party.

Laso thanks to James for the use of the communal drinking tent. That is FLO customer service in action :-)

Our daughter Lucy had a great time for her birthday on saturday, she really enjoyed it. I hope everyone enjoyed the cake and sweets.

The only problem now is my 9 year old has aperture fever. Bob's 14 inch dob was a big hit with her.

That was good wasn't it :smiley: It'll take me at least a week to clean my tent/boots/clothes etc of the mud but the clear sky on the Saturday night made it all more than worthwhile. Lots of thanks to go out of course, Greg for organising the star party (and more importantly for the cooking :grin: ), Greg and Graham (Springbok) for the tent putting up assistance, Sam and Graham for the views through their scopes during the brief clear patch on Friday night...

It was good to see you too Robin - I'm sorry I never got the chance to come over for a proper chat!! I got some data in on Saturday, lots of luminance for M33 so in between cleaning stuff I'll see if I can get it processed right...

@ John, pity you couldn't make it but I understand you had more than enough to deal with on the Thursday

@ Graham - I think Bob's scope was 18"? Either way you have a problem if you have a child afflicted with aperture fever - you know how parents always catch the kids bugs :grin:

I'm definitely up for the next one, bring it on...

James

A big thanks to Greg for organising the event. It was a good site under an exceptionally dark sky :icon_salut:

Exmoor recently won International Dark Sky Reserve status, that will come as no surprise to those who attended.

And thank-you to everyone else for your company :smiley:

I'm definitely up for the next one, bring it on...

Me too! If you are planning another Greg please count me in :glasses2:

Steve

A big thanks to Greg for organising the event. It was a good site under an exceptionally dark sky :icon_salut:

Exmoor recently won International Dark Sky Reserve status, that will come as no surprise to those who attended.

And thank-you to everyone else for your company :smiley:

Me too! If you are planning another Greg please count me in :glasses2:

Steve

And thanks for your company too...reminded me of the good old days when we used to stargaze together at my place...

It was a very good sky... Suprised me (Which takes some doing with my sky!!)

As for next year.. will look at dates.. possibly a Spring and Autumn one as it was soooo much fun...So watch this space..

Greg

I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it thanks to having other stuff going on, but hope to make future ones. Very pleased however that Saturday night showed how good Exmoor skies can be, especially for those who haven't visited before or who live where the light pollution is bad. I count myself very fortunate from an astronomy point of view to have the benefit all of the time, even if it occasionally can be like living in the land that time forgot :)

Were there any dark sky related firsts at all? Say, the first time someone has seen the Milky Way with the naked eye, M31, the double cluster or anything like that?

James

I was also very disappointed not being able to make it due to a family crisis.

I got the wife to make a load of Welsh cakes just for the occasion, with some special ones for JonH.

Unfortunately they would have gone to waste so had to eat them myself, sorry Jon. :angel:

Glad you all had a good time.

I'm disappointed that I couldn't make it

Were there any dark sky related firsts at all? Say, the first time someone has seen the Milky Way with the naked eye, M31, the double cluster or anything like that?

James

Likewise JamesF, As for first that night yes although not at the star party, Sunday morning was the first time I'd seen M36, M38 and the Rosette central star cluster as naked eye objects. Like you JamesF, I now live under these gorgeous skies....

Well done Greg all the hard work paid off in the end

To the best of my recollection I've never seen M36, M37 or M38 with the naked eye before and was quite surprised that they were so clear. They were three of the first objects I found with my ST80 and it took me hours. I can't believe it would have been that hard if I'd been able to see them without the scope.

James

I was also very disappointed not being able to make it due to a family crisis.

I got the wife to make a load of Welsh cakes just for the occasion, with some special ones for JonH.

Unfortunately they would have gone to waste so had to eat them myself, sorry Jon. :angel:

Glad you all had a good time.

You were missed Tony but not as much as your welsh cakes!

Make sure you turn up with a fresh batch at SGL8. :cool:

great weekend great people would have been worth it even if the skys wer not playing ball,best i have ever seen jupiter didnt realise so much detail could be possible and many more great sights big thanks to greg for organising it and the local dog for relieving itself on my dob which greg also washed ;) bob was generous enough to let me peak through his 20" and was unforgettable.look forward to the next one and thanks all for a great 1st star party and b day :) :) :)

I agree great weekend, I really enjoyed meeting some new people and seeing some amazing sights!

Thanks to Greg for arranging everything and helping me out with taking some video of jupiter, I think I have something there if I process it.

The weekend also gave me the kick I needed to buy a new scope. Ordered a 10" skywatcher from FLO today!

Also Thanks for all the cigarettes Sam! Sorry we didn't get to say goodbye before we left.

Jimi

no worries i woke up to a near empty camp site thought i had sleep fora few days !!!! was a good call though. glad you ordered you new scope seen some great sites and was great to meet you and john or greg cant remember names very well lol.hope to see you at the next one ,was great all round and the people were great 2!:)

We did wonder whether we should wake you up or not - all us oldies have lost the ability to sleep in quite so long :grin:

On another note - it's just crossed my mind that perhaps the title of this thread should be changed :smiley:

James

no worries i woke up to a near empty camp site thought i had sleep fora few days !!!!

Haha Yeah I thought that might happen! I guessed you would stay out quite late that night, hope you got some good viewing in.

Hope to see you at the next one.

what plonker would look down the scope when your taking piccys some plp need to sort it out thanks for the info on your imaging set up exactly what i wasafter i ow every 1 a thnk you due to being helpfull and patient,i didnt really have a lie in i was sleeping in a cold cold van so sleep didnt happen till 7 ish lol.prob good job nobody woke me up im a grumpy git in the morning.shocking news i mangedto come home with most of my kit except a tea spoon but i think i may have nicked james's (sorry)

was my dob theonly one the dog used for target practice seems that way

Ahhhh.... Teaspoon thievery.........

James and myself had an indepth conversation about a missing teaspoon... He was ready to call in CID!!!

..... However... I think he looked in my direction when he was missing a tent peg puller ....

...... And I seem to be missing a tea bag!

At least the pot noodles and chocolate bars were not touched..

Can a mod split this thread or re name it to SWAP thread.. (South West Astro Party)

In answer to some questions amd emails I've had, I'm looking at organising another one in April and again inSeptember... Details to follow in a few months time.

Found what I thought were several cans of beer whilst packing up - I thought I was quids in until I spotted they were all empty. Amusingly the three cans were still in the white plasticy bit that holds six packs together, someone must have been thirsty...

Here also is a quick preview of what I was doing set up at the far end of the path on Saturday night; there's some tweaking still needed and I'll post in in the imaging section when done but as it's the first image I've done in about five months I couldn't wait :rolleyes::smiley:

James

post-649-0-00727100-1350379165_thumb.jpg

Archived