Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Star Party Stuff - Comprehensive List??

Astrosurf

Hi all,

I'm putting together a star party camping list. This will be my first one so please add to it!!

Alexxx

Scope and accessories!!

Cover for scope – one that can be secured in windy weather

Power pack

Red light torch

Allen keys

Watchmaker’s screwdriver

Pale sheet – to put under scope in case you lose something small!

Gardener’s kneeling pad – for polar aligning!

Spirit level (and compass for us beginners!)

Car hairdryer

Extension cable

RCD??

Batteries for anything!

Extra battery and card for camera – don’t forget the camera adaptor ring and stuff!

Star map or planisphere

Glasses chord – for those who wear glasses so you don’t have to keep putting them down!

Red cellophane – could be useful!

Food and water (if there are no facilities)

Water bottle, bowl for washing & Toiletries (if there are no facilities)

Loo roll?!

Paper towels

Bags for rubbish

Jotter pad and pen

Camp table – with a rim so stuff doesn’t fall off!

Stool - for midgets like me to stand on when the eyepiece is a bit high!

Camping chair

Thick floor roll or blow-up mattress – with foot pump preferably!

Good-quality sleeping bag

Duvet

Lamp for tent

Mirror for us ladies!

Camping stove? – can’t do without my tea!

Cooler for food?

Golfing brolly

Booze and other nice stuff!!!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Make sure your car/transport is up to scratch for the possible long trip.

Mine is going in to get new pads(close to metal) and a new offside/front spring(found a bit of spring under the car last week !!)

Always take more booze than you think necessary.....and munchies......

Andy ;-)

Yeah, I know, DUH! :lol:

Alex

Last year a certain member on this forum managed to travel 300 miles to the Spring Kelling event , get his scope set up ready for the evening and then his thoughts turned to his sleeping arrangements.

Grabbed the tent bag and realised that it felt a bit light..........

His tent poles had been left at home !!!!! :blob8::evil6::)

Now it would be unfair of me to name him , but im sure there are others out there who will :)

So the moral is to check and double check.

Alex

Last year a certain member on this forum managed to travel 300 miles to the Spring Kelling event , get his scope set up ready for the evening and then his thoughts turned to his sleeping arrangements.

Grabbed the tent bag and realised that it felt a bit light..........

His tent poles had been left at home !!!!! :lol::evil6::blob8:

Now it would be unfair of me to name him , but im sure there are others out there who will :)

So the moral is to check and double check.

That's EXACTLY the sort of thing I'd do!!

Make sure your car/transport is up to scratch for the possible long trip.

Mine is going in to get new pads(close to metal) and a new offside/front spring(found a bit of spring under the car last week !!)

Always take more booze than you think necessary.....and munchies......

Andy ;-)

I think my car will be all right??! Touch wood! She's rather old now but has got a new clutch, new shock absorbers and other stuff, but anything could happen! Ford Mondeos seem rather reliable. . .

Instead of the extension cable and RCD, I would seriously recommend one of these: http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=628 . All that moisture plus expensive kit is a 'potential deathtrap' as Lynn Foulds-Wood used to say on Watchdog. Also some crockery, cutlery and pots n' pans might come in handy, a hungry astronomer is a grumpy astronomer :lol:.

Tony..

One thing people forget is something to cover the car lights - the ones which flash every time you hit the lock/unlock button ARRRGGGGHHH.

The number of times in the evening when someone has done that @ Kelling & ruined my dark vision....

It's a bit ugly, but I lust masking tape folds of newspaper over the indicators which flash when I lock/unlock the car - you are bound to need to get something.

One thing people forget is something to cover the car lights - the ones which flash every time you hit the lock/unlock button ARRRGGGGHHH.

The number of times in the evening when someone has done that @ Kelling & ruined my dark vision....

It's a bit ugly, but I lust masking tape folds of newspaper over the indicators which flash when I lock/unlock the car - you are bound to need to get something.

Good idea!

Instead of the extension cable and RCD, I would seriously recommend one of these: http://www.campingworld.co.uk/Models.aspx?ModelID=628 . All that moisture plus expensive kit is a 'potential deathtrap' as Lynn Foulds-Wood used to say on Watchdog. Also some crockery, cutlery and pots n' pans might come in handy, a hungry astronomer is a grumpy astronomer :lol:.

Tony..

It's pricey but I'll certainly look into it! There's one on eBay but not that much cheaper!

I'll ask wallet holder (hubby)!

Alex have a look here http://www.camperlands.co.uk/store/erol.html#29881X57538

Don't know how long the special offer will last but it's been running for at least a couple of weeks.

Edit

Can't seem to get the link to work, if you go to www.camperlands.co.uk the triple socket is in the powered and mains equipment section.

Thanks for that but I think the website's duff! Can get links to open fully! Thanks for trying!

Beer, wine and lots of food.

Did I mention beer?

Don't forget the beer.

Put the beer at the top of your list, don't worry about scopes and stuff cos it will be cloudy.....don't forget the beer.

If the beer can's dont have a ring pull bring a tin opener otherwise we could have a disaster on our hands.

Green Hair Dye , Black and White Face Paint, Hockey mask and Chainsaw.... :lol:

Oh and BEER....

Oh and forgot....

A SENSE OF HUMOR....

Dont pack...

Fireworks, Chineses Lanterns and that 1 million Candle Power Flashlight you keep for emergencies... unless it has about 50 layers of Rubylith on the front of it...

Billy...

Beer, wine and lots of food.

Did I mention beer?

Don't forget the beer.

Put the beer at the top of your list, don't worry about scopes and stuff cos it will be cloudy.....don't forget the beer.

If the beer can's dont have a ring pull bring a tin opener otherwise we could have a disaster on our hands.

Yep, I'm ahead of you!:lol:

Should be ok (I know the site is a bit odd) I bought one from there a couple of weeks ago.

Finally managed to get the links to work - I have IE at work. One page said Error on Page but managed to get there! I bought one!

Archived