Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

Greg

October South West Starparty - including during and after discussions :-)

forecast is looking a bit windy and rainy at the moment :( but then they're never very accurate. fingers crossed !

u didnt but umm noooo you said the word, no one says the word take it back un say the word lol its going to be the most sunny days u have seen and the clearest nights

forecast is looking a bit windy and rainy at the moment :( but then they're never very accurate. fingers crossed !

I wouldn't trust the forecast for here more than 24 hours ahead at the moment so there's plenty of opportunity for change yet. In fact, of late it's not been uncommon for the forecast to change several times a day.

James

I can recall poorish forecasts in advance of SGL star parties in the past but several clear nights during the actual event. No need to get pessimistic just yet :smiley:

Totally agree with James and John, it's far too early to worry about the weather. Even if it is bad it will still be well worth going for the social side. SSP last year was a complete wash out for the days I attended but I still had a great time, catching up with old friends and making new ones. Had my first welsh cake too!

Greg - Interested and its close (Bishops Nympton). Probably won't be able to do every night.

It will be good to see some of the faces behind the (names) that front this forum...

Hope the weather improves a bit

Greg - Interested and its close (Bishops Nympton). Probably won't be able to do every night.

It will be good to see some of the faces behind the (names) that front this forum...

Hope the weather improves a bit

No problem.. look forward to meeting you..

As for the weather..... Not to worry we'll all have a good time whatever the weather... I need to catch up on my wine tasting anyway!

If the weather is a bit iffy (Not that it will be) We can have the most pretentious wine tasting evening.... Bring a bottle and and slurp whilst making comments .. Ie..

"It’s as if they took my childhood summers in Provence and put them in a glass. Don’t you agree?"

Or

“What kind of barrels was this wine aged in?”

Ha ha.....

Edited by Greg

... I need to catch up on my wine tasting anyway!

Ha ha.....

Is that the Devon wine in pint glasses?

I'll probably end up traveling each night as I'll have quite a few bits to do during the day...

i will bring wine in a bag always classy!! i am great at pretending i am a wine connoisseur at meals out think micheal mcintyre (spell??)did a routine n it was spot on

what if your a non drinker like me ribena tasting me thinks!

i was just fitting my telrad (deliverd today) especially for this event,couldnt for the life of me figure out why i couldn't see the red circles i scowerd the net with no luck to this problem and just before i fired of an e-mail to a knowledgeable astronomer my mother dear said have you tried it backwards to which i replied "how stupid do you think i am,im an astronomer"(the actual words are non repeatable)who would have believed it, i had fitted it back to front

if any one needs any help at the s/p i will be more than happy to help im sam but you can call me the guru your choice :grin: :grin: :grin::p

1st star party so just checking ;

Clear nights = South West Star Party

Cloudy nights = South West Wine Festival

Also I hear the currency for help / favours etc is Jaffa cakes.

:grin:

i was just fitting my telrad (deliverd today) especially for this event,couldnt for the life of me figure out why i couldn't see the red circles i scowerd the net with no luck to this problem and just before i fired of an e-mail to a knowledgeable astronomer my mother dear said have you tried it backwards to which i replied "how stupid do you think i am,im an astronomer"(the actual words are non repeatable)who would have believed it, i had fitted it back to front

if any one needs any help at the s/p i will be more than happy to help im sam but you can call me the guru your choice :grin: :grin: :grin::p

Sam, I would return the Telrad if I were you.

There has been a few people receiving fake ones which have been made backwards.

They are chinese copies, called Darlet :p

re-packaged and returned thanks for the heads up i owe you one there that would have been embarrassing :p

:grin:

We've all been there.

I only started this hobby in Feb this year.

My latest newbie error.

I had finally got all the bits together to start guiding.

I spent the first 1 or so trying to figure out why I couldn't get PHD to calibrate to the star I had selected.

It turns out it wasn't a star, the camera was out of focus and I was looking at a hot pixel.......

I had to stick a diaginal in place to obtain focus on some real stars :grin:

At least you weren't wasting clear skies when you had the Telrad "issue".

Cheers,

Grahame.

Forecast not looking too great.

Looks as though it may be improving..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2650804

This one looks better!!!

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Dulverton-UKXX0520

The way I look at it is that its a great way to meest fellow astronomers and generally have a great time... The clear skys are a bonus!!

Edited by Greg

Hi Greg, our friends Barry & Sheila Fisher are also coming, they are not members of SGL, so I am just letting you know. They have had confirmation of booking from the campsite and will be travelling in a caravanette, booked for Friday and Saturday nights, they will be arriving around Friday lunchtime. Hilary and I should be there around early afternoon, but only if the weather forecast is reasonable. Will stay in touch on this score.

Hi guys,

I'll be on site from mid afternoon today.... I dont care about the weather... im still going to meet people and have a good time..!!!

If anyone wants my mobile number then please pm me..

Greg

Edited by Greg

The current forecast for tonight looks like some viewing might be possible, actually. Friday and Saturday look like a bit of everything and then Sunday night looks possible too. Things change so fast at the moment though.

Despite the fact that all the water in the world seems to have fallen on the south west in the last week, rain at some point does appear to be inevitable :(

James

Hope it goes well for you all and you get some clear skies.

I couldn't get the time off work for the weekend but I'm hoping there will be other SW star parties in the future. :)

Oppps double post! :rolleyes:

Edited by Mike73

Has there been a "bring your own ark" party on Exmoor before, I wonder?

James

Has there been a "bring your own ark" party on Exmoor before, I wonder?

James

Not on Exmoor but I remember SGL1 and 2 and possibly 3 when it was so bad people slept in their cars!!!.. I had a caravan at the time..

Greg