SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

October South West Starparty - including during and after discussions :-)

Greg

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are great! I love the two pics of my tent. Don't worry Jon I know the culprit for the red light incident, me n Sam both do ;) I can't help feel a little responsible for the tyre marks outside James's tent though.... Oops! Lovely night though wasn't it.

Those are great! I love the two pics of my tent. Don't worry Jon I know the culprit for the red light incident, me n Sam both do ;) I can't help feel a little responsible for the tyre marks outside James's tent though.... Oops! Lovely night though wasn't it.

Should have gone into rally driving!!! :grin:

I'm phoning the site later today to say a big thankyou to them for being so helpful and accomodating... Also to look at booking two dates next year (Spring and Autumn)

Greg

Nice Milky Way pictures :)

My money is on Taunton for the LP. Wiveliscombe does have some street lighting, but it's really not a big place at all and sits at the bottom of quite a quite a bowl. We get a little of it here, but we're barely two miles away. Milverton also has very little street lighting to the best of my recollection. Taunton, and perhaps to a lesser extent Wellington, well, one might think their residents burn used twenties to keep themselves warm in winter the way they light up the night sky.

James

we had no visual LP... The cameras picked it up only in the East though!!

Nice Milky Way pictures :) My money is on Taunton for the LP. Wiveliscombe does have some street lighting, but it's really not a big place at all and sits at the bottom of quite a quite a bowl. We get a little of it here, but we're barely two miles away. Milverton also has very little street lighting to the best of my recollection. Taunton, and perhaps to a lesser extent Wellington, well, one might think their residents burn used twenties to keep themselves warm in winter the way they light up the night sky. James

On the Friday night when we had a clear patch 21.6, on the Saturday night earlier on it was 21.5... not bad eh? I pointed the SQM away from the Milky Way a little rather than do straight overhead as with the Milky Way in it's line of sight the reading dropped a fair bit :smiley: I forgot to take a reading at around 2-3am which is usually when I get the best readings...

James

Oh no, surely not the guy who cooks in the back of his van! :p

... as a benchmark for the readings above, the highest I've had in the UK was at Westermill Farm a campsite about 5 miles further into Exmoor at 21.77 18 months ago, Kielder was next - a couple of 21.75's and the highest I've had from Kelling is 21.67 about four years ago.

From home I get 21.3 after the village turn their lights out - still dark but it's worth the effort to get to a dark site!

James

The first is a mini swamp near James' tent that no matter how hard I tried to avoid, I still kept trudging through after dark.

You and me both... there didn't seem to be a way round it... at least this time I wasn't going to trip over you/your camera in the dark as I was very careful where my feet went...

The second is Sam doing a Jamie Oliver in the back of his van. Following his Sue remark and that evil pic of James, Greg and me, I very nearly posted a doctored version. What do you reckon guys? :evil:

Definitely :evil:

Next is James busy setting up. Greg was there too but failed to remain still enough to register in any of the three or four 30 second exposures that were taken.

Kate is still chuckling at the idea that even when setting up I don't move much :rolleyes: I think the essence of Greg can be spotted as a red glow just above and to the left of the car...

Those are great pics Jon and really take me back there (without the mud). It should be made compulsory for you to attend all SGL related star parties as a photo chronicler of the event...

James

Hi all,gutted that i couldnt make it but a really bad chest infection put paid to that sounds like it was a good do.i think im on the mend now so might try and find a campsite thats still open and get out for a weekend. dark skies everybody. :bino2:

Seeing the photos, that's just how I feel. As you say ....... next time :-)

It's weird but the most likely times for next years would be April and September... in my case both not an option for me... I'm already gutted I might not make it to the next ones... :mad:

James

count me in count the rain out though please!! i chose those names randomly and they were meant to highlight my terrible memory(thats why i thought it was a neil who took the pics not john) but if you wanna take it personal i know whats comming oh well,you better have put time into my new pic john !!!:)

Here's one for your family album Sam. Payback for posting that awful pic of three middle-aged guys not looking their best after camping in a muddy field, and then adding insult to injury by calling one of us Sue!!!! Pure evil... :evil: :evil: :evil:

Thanks for being such a good sport. :grin:

post-6008-0-54578100-1350585760_thumb.jp

thats is actually amazing might use that as a mould for plastic surgery just need to practise my cackle laugh now:)

Good sport Sam.

Halloween is coming.............

Maybe Jon could photoshop you into one of the milky way pics on a broomstick :-)

Archived