Fascinating but minding boggelling

Cheapskate

As I draw nearer retirement I seem to be drawn more to things that floated my boat when I was younger.Although I have always held a fascination for the contents of the black stuff above Ive learned a bit,forgotten it and gone back and re-learned etc.I not interested in too technical aspects but just the shear joy and wonderment of the night sky.Although there is alot of info out there it would be nice to have a comprehensive video catalogue of "How to" in order to build the skill base.By the way Iam Terry and meant to just say "Hello".

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there are quite a few of us in your situation - as retirement draws nearer the thought of having free time again comes as a surprise. The kids no longer take up your time (or money!!) and so the thoughts of a hobby come to mind, so what better than something you were interested in as a younger person.

Anyway, welcome to the Lounge, and welcome back to Astronomy, let's hope you enjoy it as much the second time around.:hello2::)

Welcome to the forum

Since I took up retirement at the grand old age of 38 I have taken up

fishing course, fly and sea

sea kayaking

cycling road as well as mountain biking

kite flying

and now at 60 astronomy :hello2:

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum. This forum will be a useful reference point for you in your astronomical understanding be it observing, imaging, science or just having fun and just sharing with others your experiences. To get you off to a good start, you might like to take a look at

video, which is one of many from the "Astronomy Shed" series. Some are instructional, others concern modifications and improvements (like this one) and would be a source of good vide presentations that you could certainly keep in your back pocket. Ther are plenty out there and people can add further to your list. Astronomy is great interest to participate in and it is up to you how simple or complicated you want to make it.

There's no such thing as a daft question (some answers maybe! :hello2:) so please don't hesitate to throw them forward. There are plenty of "stickies" here along with primers and tutorials and of course the "Search" button at the top of the page which you can use to access archived questions and answers. Hope that helps.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum,

James

Hi Terry,

Welcome, you may want to scroll down and check out the social groups on the main page; I did, and found a local group that got together for informal observing sessons. Years ago Astronomy was a "go it alone" hobby for me, not so any more.

All the best !

Archived