Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M101 Pinwheel Galaxy

Neil I

I wasn't really sure if I wanted to post this image as this has really been a challenge to process, and after numerous attemps I'm still not entirely happy with the result, but here it is anyway. 5hrs of luminance, 2hrs of ha and 1hr per channel of RGB. This is probably the most data I've captured for an image so far and the luminance has really started to show some great detail. The colour on the other hand has been pretty poor. I'm not sure if this was down to the sky conditions (quite a lot of LP) or my processing but I just can't seem to get the balance right.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Neil

post-14123-133877782205_thumb.jpg

Thank you all for the comments :hello2:

I'm going to try and get more RGB data to balance out the Lum, but will also try tweaking the vibrance to see if it helps (thanks Cat).

Neil

M101's not an easy object to capture well (it's fainter than many think), but I'd be VERY happy indeed with this result :hello2:. As you say, the luminance has captured a lot of detail... Can I ask how long your exposures were?

M101's not an easy object to capture well (it's fainter than many think), but I'd be VERY happy indeed with this result :hello2:. As you say, the luminance has captured a lot of detail... Can I ask how long your exposures were?
Poster says "5hrs of luminance, 2hrs of ha and 1hr per channel of RGB":D

Thanks Neal - I'm having difficulties sorting out exposure length when taking LRGB at the moment!

I'm still experimenting myself. 300secs seemed to work OK on M101 with my scope/camera without saturating too many stars, but other targets might be a different story. Just wish we had more clear nights to experiment :hello2:

Archived