NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I have an APO

Well, i had some money itching to be spent, after seeing the Williams optics Zenithstar ZS70 12 on Flo`s discount, i found myself drooling over this little Apo, so i ended up having a chat with Steve, and today a small parcel arrived :(

After doing the "unboxing", first impressions, pure quality, second impression- it wont fit the puck on my EQ5-third impression, my camera tripod is not man enough for it:iamwithstupid:

so a first light is a little way of, but i hooked up my Olympus pen-EP 1 via T thread and 1.25 nose piece and it all comes to focus, very smoothly, just for the record i have not bought this for DSO imaging, as such, but planning on some wide field work, i might knock up a Baader solar filter for it and see how i go with prime focus solar imaging, it might surprise me with lunar imaging but thats not why i got.

Just one quick pic for now, as lots to do, more pics when i have it mounted properly :)

post-21509-133877778741_thumb.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sweet Jules.

Would also make a great grab and go imager with a more sturdy tripod :(

Cheers

Ian

Thanks Ian, i have plans for using it as a grab an go scope, among other use`s

Stu, i know how much you like your 66, so i took from that to help my decision

Im actually surprised at how big it is and how heavy it is

.....................I'll be interested in how you get on with the R&P focuser in particular.

John

Ahh, of course, this one of the new R&P's. Yes, they'll be quite a few folk interested in that detail alone!!

First head ache is going to be mounting it, would it be safe to bolt the foot to 5mm ali plate, then onto a dove tail, had thought ali plate then piggy back it to the tube rigs on my f11 vixen, using the camera bolts that stick out of the tube rings, if that makes sense

Glad to hear you did get hold of it after all. :(

Hopefully it will perform as good as it looks. I'll be interested in how you get on with the R&P focuser in particular.

John

The focuser is a really nice unit (olly will like it!) i am finding the fast speed is a little course, other owners have found the same, it might sweeten up a bit after some use, but the slow speed is very smooth

• 2 weeks later...

Still waiting for parts to get this on my mount, gonna have to give the postie a telling off for keeping me waiting, the plan is to mount the ZS to a 5mm ali plate, in turn the plate will bolt to a dove tail, and i will be mounting a 9x50 finder scope side by side to the ZS, i give credit to Ollypen as he posted this on another thread

Very nice scope you have there Jules. BTW you keep telling yourself you didn't buy it for imaging :):D

I did not buy it for imaging:rolleyes: but i might just stick my dslr on it and take some night snaps:D

TBH my take on imaging is EQ6, festooned with wires and cables, in an obsy, guide scope, various CCD camera`s, computers, and much more :hello2:

I have an EQ5, an APO and an unsuitable dslr, i will look at taking some snaps, rather than imaging:D

Have all your bits arrived yet Jules? Must be getting somewhat impatient to be ready for when the cloud clears, whenever that may be!

Stu

No, still waiting for the Ali mounting plate, the seller has offered to send a replacement......after i ended up ordering a second due to the time scale of opening a dispute, so i will have a spare ali blank! my patience is wearing thin now, the ZS is still sat in its box

No, still waiting for the Ali mounting plate, the seller has offered to send a replacement......after i ended up ordering a second due to the time scale of opening a dispute, so i will have a spare ali blank! my patience is wearing thin now, the ZS is still sat in its box

Oh pants :(

Archived