Just a quick intro

daz395

Hiya

Im Daz, not really new to astronomy really just new here. Started off with a 2.5" refractor when I was about 15 and we had dark skies, moved 'up' or rather sideways to a 3" reflector from a place called Astro Promotions back in the early 80's (whatever happened to them? and BC&F too???) Anyway, I was always more of a part time out on a clear night guy, and the lil 3"er stunned me at times separating stars that it shouldn't have done but that Im sure was more down to good seeing and dark skies back then.

Still have the russian 2.5" refractor and the 3" reflector, but have just added a Sky Watcher 150P on an EQ 3-2 which are still in their boxes due to a badly timed foot operation. So Im frustrated to get it all set up and running to be honest. Was just outbid for an RA drive (really hate sniping software) but still I'll buy one new when I have the funds.

Im out of work due to a series of strokes over the past few years which have made me look at life again, slow down and start doing things that I enjoy. Ive took my photography back up again after many years, I have a Sony A500 dslr but I think I'll go down the route of a web cam and stacking software as I doubt I'll ever get the polar alignment close enough for long exposure togging.

Well thats me in a nutshell, 49 yrs old, knackered in the head and foot, you can see me out on a clear day travelling in small circles :eek: Some of my astrotog pics can be seen here http://www.flickr.com/photos/daz395/sets/72157629978398449/ ok they aint brilliant but thats just with a camera, a tripod and various lenses.

OK I think Ive bored you all enough for the time being, say hi if you get chance I rarely bite. ;)

Take care, have fun and always remember tomorrow never comes so live for today.

Cheers

Daz

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Daz and welcome to the forum. Hopefully you are on the road to recovery and there's no rush in astronomy, the stars aren't going anywhere!

Clear skies and enjoy the forum

James

cheers dtr42, I agree the harder things get the harder we try :eek:

Thanks also to Tinker1947 gingergreek and James ;) for the warm welcome! I got back home today from hospital to find two large boxes in the living room and the urge was almost overpowering to open em up hah! I darent though Id probably drop something expensive. :-)

I hope to work this place out a bit better during my time here, and Im sure I'll have questions regarding the new scope at some point.

Cheers again

Daz

Hi Daz and welcome to SGL, some very nice pictures there you have taken and your camera knowledge will help a lot, there is no need to worry about Polar aligning, as there are many ways to achieve accuracy even to using a camera to help. but there is no need to go into it at this stage, as they say one step at a time. I hope your health continues to improve and immersing yourself into Astronomy will help, remember the forum is here to assist you in any way we can, no matter how small the problem is ;)

John.

Archived