NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who has got clear skies predicted for tonight ?

sanmatt

Yeah, it really makes you wonder.

Forum rules state NO STARIWAY TO HEAVEN :)

I find that relating the scales of the planisphere or software maps to the sky used to have me looking in the wrong place as the sky is 'bigger'.

• Replies 375
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To be fair, until you know the sky well and have an idea of what should be where and when, it can be quite hard to locate objects even by eye if you don't have a clear view of enough of the sky to relate stars and constellations to each other.

James

I second that with a corollary:

when I was just getting started in astronomy as a practical hobby, three of us from school used to get together at each others' houses for starnights. we used to have some pretty good 'nono, its THERE' arguments - one of which is remembered for me being pretty vehement that something was quite definitely jupiter, but which turned out to be Vega ! Did I get the Michael extracted - every time Vega was up, for a start ! :)

I've done it too...

"Hmm can't seem to focus on Saturn... Hmm maybe I've damaged something, or thrown my collimation out... Hmm just a minute... Saturn shouldn't twinkle like that.... Ah.. ahem... (note to self - do not post this story on SGL...)"

:)

Got to get up at 6, so can't be out that late unfortunately. Hope to get a quick look out c. 11pm assuming its not cloudy by then :). Got myself a minitower to try out... ;).

I've done it too...

"Hmm can't seem to focus on Saturn... Hmm maybe I've damaged something, or thrown my collimation out... Hmm just a minute... Saturn shouldn't twinkle like that.... Ah.. ahem... (note to self - do not post this story on SGL...)"

:)

My first light was "why the hell has that star got stripes on it???"

How silly, I know exactly what Jupi looks like from the telly and books, so how did I make that mistake??

Ssshhh. Don't say anything, but I just checked XCWeather and now instead of saying it won't be clear until October, it said Sun, Mon, Tue, Wed, Thu, Fri and Sat will be clear. Is it a joke? That's a full week with little sleep if so.

Not looking good on south coast (central), HUGE swaith of rain heading in from Norther France :)

Shame as still mild outside, would have been a perfect evening in the garden!

Well, its gone from clear all week to cloudy all week. That was nice. Got a nice bit of cloud just hovering over the North East that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. Weatherman teasing me saying it will be clear on Friday - ha! right!

Well, its gone from clear all week to cloudy all week. That was nice. Got a nice bit of cloud just hovering over the North East that doesn't look like it's going anywhere soon. Weatherman teasing me saying it will be clear on Friday - ha! right!

Someone must've ordered a scope.

Looked ok for a bit of solar after work. Set everything up, then when to move the power pack (still plugged in) and it sparked - burnt through my jumper, shirt and blistered my back :)

Archived