NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A change in price, a change in thoughts

I looked on FLO today and they've upped the price of the SKYLINER 200P dobsonian from £270 to £298! So this has had me thinking, are there any other telescopes that will give my the same views for a smaller price?

Admittedly an extra £28 isn't too much extra to save up it's just... I can't stand waiting :hello2:

Edit: how is the Skyhawk 1145P compared to the SKYLINER 200P?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw an email from a couple of retailers yesterday that warned Skywatcher were increasing prices. This follows on from Baader and Celestron already doing so this year.

Tough times in the Astro world I'm afraid, I seem to recall something about this posted earlier in the year?

...but, in broad terms, optics of decent quality have never been cheaper. Twenty years ago they were, in real terms, maybe four times the price?

Olly

Indeed - I've still got old 1980's and 1990's brochures and price lists. The prices of scopes that we take for granted today like a 4" achromat refractor or a 6" newtonian were something like 300% higher back then :hello2:

FLO reported earlier that the 200p was in very short supply world wide and expected the price to rise accordingly.
I saw an email from a couple of retailers yesterday that warned Skywatcher were increasing prices. This follows on from Baader and Celestron already doing so this year.

Tough times in the Astro world I'm afraid, I seem to recall something about this posted earlier in the year?

It was mentioned and predicted almost a year ago in this thread.

We expect the trend to continue for a while longer because, even after these recent rises, Chinese-manufactured products in general are still cheaper than they should be.

HTH,

Steve :hello2:

No fault of the retailers but it's not a save-mentality economy we live in. :hello2:

I'm trying to save up for 'my cure' for aperture fever and having the goal posts moved is very dispiriting.

Back to making my own mirrors.

ahemmm.... I can honestly say that at the moment I have all the kit I need or want for the next few years - getting kitted out just after Christmas is proving to be a good move with the shortages and price hikes at the moment

gloat over

as you were :0)

ahemmm.... I can honestly say that at the moment I have all the kit I need or want for the next few years - getting kitted out just after Christmas is proving to be a good move with the shortages and price hikes at the moment

gloat over

Hope you aren't going to any star parties this year?.....they have been known to bring on bouts of aperture fever and ocularism in dramatic numbers of people.:hello2::)

gloat over

Good for you :)

Just make sure you don't try any Naglers, Delos, Ethos or Pentax XW eyepieces over the next few years - they might just put your wallet at risk again :hello2:

nope not worried about that at all, I know ethos and nagler will be much better than I have, I know a 22 inch dob will give much better views but just enjoying what I'm doing its great to be part of this amazing hobby mixing with such nice people and really speaking when ? , there well always be something else no matter what you have.

and steve yes I've booked up for my first ever star party at the end of the year and can't wait.:-)

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Sorry to burst your bubble - there is no "cure" for aperture fever - just a short term relieving of the symptoms! :hello2:

I disagree. The cure for aperture fever is astrophotography!

Perry

I disagree. The cure for aperture fever is astrophotography!

Perry

Ditto. I had a bout of aperture hunger back in October last year and I realized very quickly I would on an up hill struggle if I didn't get a handle on it. Having already got a 250PX I was already at the limit of having an easily manageable scope and the thought of 1) the cost of a 14" 2) the transportability and storage of such a large dob soon had me questioning another path to follow. While I admit I prefer visual my humble attempts at AP have already allowed me to see more than I could have ever wished for from even a 14" scope. For me it helped quench my thirst for aperture so much so that I soon sold my 250PX in favour of my smaller 8" newt.

That's not a cure Perry, just an even easier way to empty the contents of your wallet/bank account.:hello2:

Ah well worth a try :)

Visual: bigger mirrors and hundreds of deg eyepieces

AP: mounts and triplets and CCDs

Choose your path well, young Padawan...

Perry

Archived