Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all your comments

Images were done using hints and tips from Martin at skyinspector.co.uk (he has better pics than me) as follows:

Set camera with high gain, medium gamma, exposure 1/1250sec and 60 fps. Set scope with focus on a star (I use a bahtinov mask), ensure finder is aligned to scope, set software ready to capture for ~5 mins and wait. When ISS appears, start capture and track in the finder as best you can. Once the pass is complete, stop the capture.

I then play the AVI through just to have a quick look to see if anything is there. I had ~300 frames out of ~12,000 with the ISS somewhere in the frame last time.

It's then over to PIPP to debayer and sort all the frames, centre and keep those with the ISS and dump those without. Over to Registax6 for stacking and light wavelets and you are done.

Thanks again to Chris and Martin for all their help.

Cracking images Freddie !!

Thanks for the instructions as well - have to try that .........

One questions, is it best to try and capture, when the ISS is a higher or lower mag brightness ??

• 2 weeks later...

Excellent and shows the benefit of a video camera over a DSLR (see: http://stargazerslounge.com/showthread.php?t=185491 ) if you can track the ISS reliably. I'd like to try with my DFK21AU618 on my CGEM EdgeHD but fear I won't be able to get it in the field of view.

Anyway, here's hoping the skies are clear on Friday for the predicted solar transit visible from my garden!

Anyway, here's hoping the skies are clear on Friday for the predicted solar transit visible from my garden!

What time is that due ?? sorry ignore - fingers ahead of thinking at the mo - use stellarium you daft watsit (me)

What time is that due ?? sorry ignore - fingers ahead of thinking at the mo - use stellarium you daft watsit (me)

Calsky predicts 13:59:15 secs on friday at my location. However, it's a very narrow track and any slight orbital change could mean it's on a slightly different track.

Thanks for all your comments

Images were done using hints and tips from Martin at skyinspector.co.uk (he has better pics than me) as follows:

Set camera with high gain, medium gamma, exposure 1/1250sec and 60 fps. Set scope with focus on a star (I use a bahtinov mask), ensure finder is aligned to scope, set software ready to capture for ~5 mins and wait. When ISS appears, start capture and track in the finder as best you can. Once the pass is complete, stop the capture.

I then play the AVI through just to have a quick look to see if anything is there. I had ~300 frames out of ~12,000 with the ISS somewhere in the frame last time.

It's then over to PIPP to debayer and sort all the frames, centre and keep those with the ISS and dump those without. Over to Registax6 for stacking and light wavelets and you are done.

Thanks again to Chris and Martin for all their help.

Very nicely done, I tried a similar technique earlier in the year, using my dob and a SPC webcam, but the results aren't a patch on this, you've picked up loads of detail there. Very nice indeed.

Archived