Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New scope

Nik Harries

Received my new, and first ever, scope last week, an Evostar 80ED DS PRO. Arrived just in time to take with me on holiday to the Isle of Skye. Had fantastic viewing conditions with virtually no light pollution. What a difference! Was amazed to see Saturns rings, Jupiter and the Gallilean moons, although the latter was more difficult due to it's low westerly position. Have to say I was like a kid with a new toy, seeing things I'd been fascinated with from an early age and only seen previously in books. Only frustrating thing was trying to stabilise it on a carbon fibre manfrotto camera tripod. Still, my HEQ5 arrives this week so here's hoping for more of the same viewing conditions........and soon!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Nik and welcome to the forum. I bet those skies were terrific and a dark sky always makes such a difference when observing. Great scope and a very capable mount and am I correct in thinking you have aspirations in the imaging direction? Great setup and will certainly provide a lot of enjoyment for the nights ahead.

Clear skies and enjoy the forum!

James

Yes James, imaging will be the ultimate aim but also hoping to do a fair bit of viewing. Need to build a small collection of eyepieces and filters though to go with the standard 28mm one supplied. Was looking at the Celestron XL-X 5mm (120x mag on the 600mm scope) so should be ok for planetary viewing. What others would folk recommend? How about a nice ultra wide and something in between the 5 and 28mm. Already have a 2x Barlow. Or should I go with a 10mm and use that with the Barlow to make a 5mm therefore getting

more value for money? Ooh, decisions decisions! Cheers.

Hi and welcome to the lounge!

I usually spend a week or so each year in Skye, but only had binoculars before - really looking forward to taking a scope up there this year, those skies are stunning!

Well the HEQ5 arrived yesterday and it's a monster. Feels very sturdy though. Just learning to polar align etc. now. Hoping for some great skies soon to practice on before we head to the Isle of Lewis for holiday in September. The skies there will be amazing.

Archived