New member New scope! Skywatcher Explorer 200p or Syyliner 200p Dob?

stulynn

Hi everyone! First time member and first post!

After lots of research and reading these forums, I think I've narrowed my selection down to the above 2 scopes. I currently have an old 4.5" Bushnell reflector from 10 years ago that's falling to bits. My Meade lenses and filters are wasted on this

I've decided to treat myself to a new scope as a 'present to self' having just turned 40!

Both seem very similar apart from the base, and the Dob has a slightly longer tube. There's about £100 difference in price but not too bothered as it's likely to be my only ever upgrade.

I was thinking of the 6" versions of the above, but figured I may as well go 8" in case I regret not going big enough (plasma TV syndrome!).

I note both these scopes are 'big' and there's not that much room in the house.

Which of the 2 scopes would you pick if you had the choice, regardless of the price difference?

Which has the smaller footprint? Does the round base of the Dob take up less space thn the legs of the EQ5 mount, and which will take up less space overall if stuck in the corner of the conservatory (or the corner of the garage if the wife has anything to say about it).

Also, would you say the views I will get will be pretty much identical with both scopes? Same 8" mirror, same brand etc? I note the Dob has a slightly longer scope - will this give better views (contrast?).

I'm not bothered about taking pictures, and want the scope for general viewing of most objects, moon, planets, nebula, galaxies etc. Go to isnt a priority as I'll just scan the skies with the use of a guide and see what I find!

I like the look of both scopes, but maybe 60/40 in favour of the skywatcher & mount as perhaps it's easier to control?

I'm sure I'd be happy with either, as it's going to be a major upgrade from my current scope.

Thanks for listening, and thanks for any advice!

Stu

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Stu... & welcome to the forum

the Dob has the smaller footprint for storage...movement when viewing is far more intuitive with the dob (left/right up/down)... set-up time is far quicker with the dob...no aligning/levelling etc...very slightly less demanding of eyepieces

the newt doesn't have a waiting list...less bending to the eyepiece... & it's as good a 'scope.

hard choice..but, a nice result whichever you choose

Welcome to the SGL you may do better to post in the "Beginners Forum" many more people will read and respond, a Dob needs pushing round to track stuff, a EQ5 will track objects while your not there, Download Stellarium for finding stuff, and think about a Telrad for aiming the chosen scope, there's Telrad Maps that are handy with or without the Telrad Module...Good Luck.

Go for the dob stu,(I'm completely biassed as you can tell) easy set up, easy storage and fun customising who needs go to? If photography is not an issue youI would definitely go dob .

Sent fro my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to SGL :)

8" is good. You need tracking to pull out the fine details in planets - you can let your eye rest on the object and relax, waiting for those brief steady moments in seeing, instead of having to nudge with a Dob. So if you are going for a Dob, make sure you get one with tracking.

i had the same delema about 2/3 mth ago. i went for the eq5 (mainly because i'd like to give ap a go eventually). it was the right choice for me but only you can say what is right for you. either way i'm sure you'll be happy. if you can find a local club, go along and you might be able to compare the two. good luck mate.

Go for the explorer & enjoy it.....then wish you'd got the cheaper, easier to setup & use dob with spare cash for other bits,

or!:

Go for the dob, enjoy it..... then wish you'd got something with an equatorial mount

life has many roads; all lead to the same destination - regret & satisfaction ! :)

Hi Stu and welcome to the forum. My personal choice would be to go with the EQ5 option as it will allow you to use other scopes on it the future. Tracking is not a big issue, although in my opinion I would prefer it when using high magnifications on planets because those little beasties will be flying in and out of your eyepiece in no time.:) View wise they will both work equally as well and would certainly recommend a telrad in regard to locating a target.

Clear skies,

James

Footnote: Always better to store the scope in a dark cool place rather than a conservatory otherwise you will need to allow for a longer 'cool' down period if you want to get the best out of that 8" mirror.:)

Thanks everyone for the friendly welcome, tips and advice! And still torn between the two now! The easy set up of the Dob and the 'point and view' is appealing. Maybe I'll go for that and spend the difference on extras! Ps, is it only the flex tube that has the auto tacking feature? Or can this be bought as an extra and added to the 200p? Thanks

Archived