Using a Dobsonian

Just how easy is it to set up and observe with a Dobsonian? I am considering the Skywatcher 200P but I really have no idea how effective nudging will be. I have a horrible feeling that I could easily knock the tube so I loose direction on the object I am watching. Dobs seem popular but this beginner needs convincing!:icon_salut:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i know what you mean when i had my first one 6" bushnell i thought the same problem but it wasnt the case, i think the gentle nudging is a little too survear, its more like a slightly harder tap also with 2 very simple mods getting back to the object is fairly easy if you do move it out of the way (a wixey and a 360degree scale at the bottem of the base, both giving the co-ords of an object with a planetarium software (on your phone, ipod/ipad android, even on your computer (stellerarium/starry night)

I've used different scopes, and for me the dob is the easiest and most satisfying. Setting up is a matter of plonking the base down, putting the tube on top and securing with two screw in handles. Yes you have to find things yourself, but I find that's half the fun! Wixeys can help as suggested, but I just use a red dot finder to line up on a visible star and then star hop. There's enough friction such that a tap won't move the tube, and it becomes second nature to nudge and keep objects in view. We dob owners are enthusiastic because they're great :icon_salut:

before getting a dob i had a scope with an eq1 mount and just couldnt get on with it(it did have a fault with it though) and the decision to move to a dob was the best move ever for me the ease of use and freedom you get with a dob is fantastic ive yet to get a wixey or setting circles but its something ill do when i eventually give in to aperture fever and upgrade to a 12" dob :icon_salut: anyway id recommend a dob to anyone absolutely brilliant!

i know what you mean when i had my first one 6" bushnell i thought the same problem but it wasnt the case, i think the gentle nudging is a little too survear, its more like a slightly harder tap also with 2 very simple mods getting back to the object is fairly easy if you do move it out of the way (a wixey and a 360degree scale at the bottem of the base, both giving the co-ords of an object with a planetarium software (on your phone, ipod/ipad android, even on your computer (stellerarium/starry night)

i`m new as well but the wixey thing and a 360 degree lable sounds a good idea, didn`t want to spend out on a wixey thing so i just brought this INCLINOMETER ROOFING SCAFFOLDING ANGLE MEASURE FINDER BRAND NEW MAGNETIC MODEL | eBay

but does any one know if any company out there makes a stick on 360 degree sticker to save me making my own.

Having only ever used a Dob Its impossible to make a comparison.

The thing that made me choose mine was the locate and see yourself aspect, I kind of thought that it would make me learn the sky more.

And it has!

With a smaller eye piece (10mm) its easy to nudge more than you want to and can be a little frustrating but with the 25mm its hard to nudge it out of sight.

We dob owners are enthusiastic because they're great :icon_salut:

:D:);):)B)

If you are new to astronomy, you will want to see the best views up there. For for money you wont get a better scope in my opinion. (larger mirror / price) They are also easy to use.

my first scope was an equatorially mounted large refractor. this was cumbersome and heavy, took a while to set up and I ended up in some pretty awkward observing positions when trying to align the thing. It took up a lot of floor space too.

I converted the mount to operate on an alt-azi mode (just up down / left right) and made a higher tripod. I was much happier with this set-up and it proved to me that I wanted a simpler set up.

The views through the 120mm f8.3 achromatic refractor were very nice and the optics sharp etc but left me a little unfulfilled with faint objects and irritated with bright objects due to chromatic aberration.

While I still had the refractor, I bought the biggest dob I could afford, a 12" f5.3 dobsonian. My logic was that I'd have a look through both and then sell the one I thought I'd use less. In truth, I never used the refractor again after trying the dob. It worked effortlessly, needed much less floor space than the refractor (even my current 16" dob takes up less floor space than the refractor) and provided sublime views of all objects with no chromatic aberration and much deeper penetration into space.

I now have a 16" f4 dob, a 6" f11 dob and a 6" f5 mounted on a mobile pier with an alt-azi mount. I have been tempted with refractors but every time I am I regret it and sell them again.

My point after all this waffle is to answer your queries:

Set-up - easy to set up and is pretty much as quick as you can move the scope into position. No need to worry about where north is or to polar align, you just 'plonk' it down.

Cooling - as with all scopes you need to allow the optics to come into equilibrium with the external temperature. Allow maybe 5-10 minutes per inch of aperture - double this with some closed systems (not dobs).

Collimation - this is tuning a guitar. A simple process with the right tools (about £25) and needs to be done before each session - takes a few minutes tops after you 'get it'.

Finding objects - a good star map, a red dot finder of some kind and a right angle correct image finder will make your life easier and more comfortable/enjoyable.

Tracking manually - this is easy to about 200x and can be done at much higher magnifications. It's easier if observing from a seated position which I always recommend too.

Aperture - more aperture means more size and weight but the views are very worthwhile. For visual observing, the biggest aperture you can afford, store and move is what I'd generally recommend.

I am sure others will provide opposite arguments for some of these points but this is what I think.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

I concur with all

Dobs totally rule:headbang:

I used to use driven equatorials but since getting a Dob I'll never bother with all that again.

I love the freedom from power that a manual Dob gives, this ability to set up anywhere without worrying about power, or if my batteries will last the whole weekend I'm away.

Regards Steve

If you don't want to nudge try one of these

Or one of these - quite pricey but it's what I'd like if I could afford it. (Other companies than the one I linked to also make them of course and there are even threads on this forum about making them yourself.)

Tom

Its a case of "I used to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure"! Thanks to everyone for their input. I started out thinking Reflector & Equitorial with GoTo, then found my budget wouldn't go that far so cut out the GoTo element. Then of course I got seduced by big apertures (Dobs of course) but wanted a steady mount that maybe later could do some photography (Dobs but starting to move back towards EQ's for tracking). Clearly another wave of indecision came over me, not helped by the lack of available new outfits recently.

As a newbie, I hope to remain interested and would like to buy an outfit that will give valuable service over a few years - she who must be obeyed doesn't want me replacing 'scopes as often as I have replaced computers! I also have a grandson who has a wonderfully inquisitive nature that I would like to let him exploit.

How did you all get over this first hurdle???

How did you all get over this first hurdle???

I was indecisive for ages too, eventually i had enough and just impulse bought the 200p. Worked out for the best! 2 minute setup/packup from the back of my car, and wicked views.

As for nudging, it really is much easier than you'd think. If it was tricky, the 200p wouldnt be the uks most popular scope. :icon_salut:

I got hold of a Skywatcher 200p last week, which was my first proper telescope.

I find it easy to find and track things using a 25mm eyepiece and then swap to a higher magnification.

It's much simpler than you might think.

Last night my wife came home from a Ladies meal out with 4 other women in tow, who all wanted to see the telescope (having admired it on my facebook page!).

Within 2 mins all were gasping at the sight of Saturn, even though quite low at 10.30. Simple to keep taking a quick look and nudging back into field of view (10mm eyepiece).

I honestly don't recall having ever being able to please a group of women so....:icon_salut:

I'm another dobber , so easy and quick to set up and use , If I'd have gone for a tripod mount I'd have had a smaller scope and a lot more hassle setting up , I was going to get a goto and so chuffed I didn't now ... I don't need to bother about batteries/electrics it really is simple and I have more reason to learn the sky which is great.

only had a dob for 2 months now but if i can get the nudge [more like gentle pressure on the OTA than a nudge] you soon get the knack of it and for bang's for buck's it can't be beatt [unless you go bigger:)]

Just how easy is it to set up and observe with a Dobsonian? I am considering the Skywatcher 200P but I really have no idea how effective nudging will be. I have a horrible feeling that I could easily knock the tube so I loose direction on the object I am watching. Dobs seem popular but this beginner needs convincing!:icon_salut:

Hi

i bought the 200p and I am a beginner.

I can assure you that it is really easy to use and at the moment i am using it with a 7mm eyepiece and can easily track the planets, Saturn and Jupiter.

It requires a little nudging but you get used to it.

Hope that helps

To give you a rough idea, in my 8mm BST, it takes an object around 30-40seconds to cross the field of view, then 2-3 seconds to nudge, then another 30-40 seconds etc...

For DSOs it just isn't an issue at all, it'l be around 5 minutes per nudge.

Basically, if you're able to pick up and carry a moderately full glass of water without spilling any, then you have the dexterity needed to nudge. It's simple, and not even worth worrying about.

Another dob convert - had a 1145 on a EQ1 mount - set up & finding took so long I didn't use it much in 6 years. Had my 250 Dob for about a month and already used it many more times than the other in 6 years.

I used to only bother if conditions were perfect and I had a whole evening free now i will pop the dob out to cool if there is any chance of seeing something as I know in a few minutes I can be looking at something.

Personally, I chose to nudge rather than AUTO on cost grounds .

I too have recently purchased a 200P Dob.

As has already been said, it is really easy to "nudge" to keep your targets in view. After a bit of star hopping to track down targets I soon became a bit frustrated finding targets immediately overhead in Ursa Major.

So I investigated setting circles and found this extremely simple solution.

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/80995-diy-dob-setting-circles.html

Simple to do and surprisingly accurate.

Archived