Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Are there any dark sky venues anywhere near to Bristol?

Astralstroll

Hi Dave and a very warm welcome to SGL. Heading South East from Bristol, Salisbury Plains are probably within your hours drive limit. I live not too far away near Westbury, if your ever heading out that way give me a shout an I'll try an meet up. There is a small band of folks called SPOG (Salisbury Plain Observing Group) who meet up regularly. The Deverills near Mere are also dark sites, I would also hazard a guess that there must be some dark skies around Frome too. PM me if you want to meet up or just let me know here.

Hi Dave and welcome to the forum. Its not that aren't places to go in the countryside that are near to Brstol, it's whether you can find a spot that isn't shared by the local Kennel Club - namely Doggers!:D:D:D One place that I used to use with a couple of other observing friends was perfect in every way, (dark skies, nearly 360 degree uninterrupted view with very little light glow on the horizon, access for cars etc) then one night we had 27 members of the kennel club decide to investigate what we were doing. I mean we all know that there exists a rumour that certain solo male activity can ruin a man's eyesight but surely they couldn't have imagined that I was regularly over doing it, to the extent that I needed to use 6 foot long refractor to see anything in the dark!!!;):D Suffice to say that at least on more than one occasion, these interruptions can take a downward tone which doesn't bother me on that level but when you are trying get into the zone with your observing, tempers can start to run a little high.:icon_salut:

In the end, I had to resort to contacting local landowners to 'secure' some private space so that I and my observing friends can observe 'celestial' bodies in peace. So Dave if you want to come out and do some observing on a site that is private, quiet and surprisingly dark given its proximity to a major city with car access, drop me a private message (top of your screen) and we can set something up. For my own security and those with me, I have arranged with the land owner a strict protocol of times and numbers etc to ensure that our presence and intentions are clear and known, which is also respectful to the landowners too as it's really their backyard.

Look forward to hearing from you soon.

James

Archived