Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ollypenrice

M51, HaLRGB 22 Hrs.

Here's the Mk2 with Ha, folks. Flats are causing us grief at the moment so this had a lash-up of stacks with and without them to try to find a workable mean. ;)

Since the halo is so critical you need good flats, full stop. As usual with galaxies I kept the 6 hours' Ha contribution down to a hint here and there. Then it proved a pig to transfer to the web but this isn't too far off the 16 Bit in Adobe RGB. I'll be quite glad to see the moon back in the sky and my bed in the house!

Fullsize (nearly) is here; Galaxies - ollypenrice's Photos

Yves' setup (ODK14/Mesu200/SXH36. That mount is soooo easy to like.)

Olly

M51-HaLRGB-22-HrsWEB4-XL.jpg

Edited by ollypenrice

Wowser! That's just gorgeous - I am soooo jealous. Well done.

Regards

Rob

We can only dream.....

Thats better than Hubbles version LOL Well done Olly ;) Its always a pleasure to see your work :)

Smashing, absolutely gorgeous Olly.

I've been having problems getting my Adobe RGB over to sRGB also. I use ie7, I've heard they deal with web colours poorly with regard other internet browsers like Firefox and Chrome.

My printer reckons that the Adobe RGB gamut has a much bigger range, and that the web can't handle it, so assigns it incorrect colours.

Tom.

I estimate that image cost only 2 pence per pixel :-)

Stunningly beautiful - wonderful ;)

I estimate that image cost only 2 pence per pixel :-)

Hey, not so fast, that's just Yves' kit! What about my hourly rate?? ;)

On minimum wage this image would bag me about £420. Hey, where's Yves??? Not to worry, I may get a tenner for it from a magazine, eh? Drink, anyone? My treat.

Olly

Edited by ollypenrice

Simply stunning. Congrats on something so special.

LOL, I'm glad I don't need to pay you, that + equipment cost could get me in trouble with the CFO ;)

Yves.

Olly - fantastic! Ha taken at 30 min subs?

How are you stacking in AA5 with lights from each night or are your flats the same for each night due to permanent setup? Funnily it's easy in PI to calibrate frames with different calibration frames, but in AA5 which is a easy and lightening fast I cannot figure it out.

Olly - fantastic! Ha taken at 30 min subs?

How are you stacking in AA5 with lights from each night or are your flats the same for each night due to permanent setup? Funnily it's easy in PI to calibrate frames with different calibration frames, but in AA5 which is a easy and lightening fast I cannot figure it out.

Yes, Ha in 30 minute subs. I stack the several nights' worth all together using the same flats which, as you say, is fine in a permanent observatory. I don't think you can dedicate certain flats to certain lights in AA5. You need to combine separate stacks.

Olly

Wonderful colours Olly and the Ha just tickles it nicely.

Olly - I think your right. I'll stop researching it and use PI.

That's come out rather well old chap :D

I know what you mean about the moon being a relief at times :icon_salut:

Love the colour balance.

Cheers

Rob

When you said you'd be doing M51 I wondered why, since it's not very pretty in the galactic competition. How wrong I was..

Well done Olly, that is a stunning piece of work. A great sense of brightness and the colour depth is glorious. You've pulled out the faint outer stuff and still managed to keep the excellent contrast. Wonderful!

I often think galaxies look like thin, hazy ghosts of objects. But not this one! It has a real, solid, physical feel to it. We're lucky to have you posting on this forum, Olly!

Thanks for all the positive feedback, everyone. We've just heard that this is going to get a page to itself in Astronomie, the French magazine, so we're feeling the 14 inch project is taking off!

I heard from Pieter Ven de Velde yesterday, as well. He's traveling in the USA and has just been to see Adam Block at the $500,000 dollar imaging scope he operates. Time for a bit of scribbling the cheque book, eh? All donations will be acknowledged!!!

Olly

I'll bet his M51 doesn't look that good ... hmm it does ah well ...

:icon_salut: