Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Well me Baader 8:24 zooms PACKED UP!!!

me too, was going to get one next month, think I will give it a wide berth.

Fair comments on warranty, but when there is a problem product such as this, they will shoot themselves in the foot (4 not being bought by those commented above) if they do not sort the issues out, and admit the production is not refined.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Whilst it's important that this particular problem with the MKIII is shared on here, I really hope nobody is put off getting one.

The reason I want a replacement rather than a refund is that I believe the fault is affecting only a small percentage and it really is a great zoom EP. Mine was fine for over 10 months and my only EP for mid-range mag.

Buy from a reputable dealer and keep the receipts, common sense really as for anything you buy, astro gear or not.

The vast majority of feedback on the MKIII has been nothing but praise.

I agree with Woking.

I've had my Baader zoom for about 3 months now, have used it in temperatures down to at least -10 with no problems.

Nice piece of kit (touch wood;)).

Caveat Emptor - buy from a decent dealer...

Blimey. I was considering one of those. Luckily I stuck with my original plan and bought a fixed focal length Hyperion which arrived yesterday.;)

From a legal standpoint however your contract is with the retailler and not the manufacturer (sale of goods act). If it is warranty then no probs. If it is out then it is unfortunate. In any case manufacturers have to make the item durable enough to work properly for an acceptable amount of time, not just until the standard years warranty is up. :)

I have only ever had it stick once in cold weather and I just forced the issue and it hasn't stuck since. It's still a great eyepiece, I guess as long as it's working though which fortunately mine still is.

However I have managed to get the t-ring adaptor jammed into the t-ring and it won't budge but it doesn't bother me because frankly that's where it belongs anyway.

Just got mine and tried it out and a couple of things come immediately to the mind - 1) The lens body clashes with the tightening 'screws' on both my diagonals (?poor design) and 2) when finally clamped into the diagonal and you try to zoom the whole things turns alarmingly in the holder!! There is a ring into which the nose goes that has to be tightened very tightly against a free turning ring on the base of the lens - that makes it securely but, my goodness, you take flesh off your fingers untightening it!

Warranty or not. You don't buy a £170 EP for it to last only 1 year. That is is not a reasonable expectation as to the life of this product, especially when you compare your level of use in the UK!

If mine packs up in the next 2-3 years, I will be on the phone to Baader. Its a design flaw for it to seize up / fall to bits with this time period.

same as my 8-24 zoom from FLO , the zoom ring has completely seized up but out of warrenty so it's just a paper weight now :)

No it isn't :)

You bought it 04/07/11 so it's well within warranty.

Please email our helpdesk, we'll make the necessary arrangements.

HTH,

Steve

HTH,

Steve

ANOTHER EXAMPLE OF WHY BUYING FROM FLO MAKES SUCH SENSE!

TOP MAN

HTH,

Steve

I thought it was older than that ? I'll get in touch after the holidays.

thank you for checking.

Just received my brand spanking new replacement today.

Maybe a case of rose tinted specs but the zoom movement seems slicker and the clickstops a little more defined.

It really is a great EP to have in the collection.

The retailer was one of the main players, those that you see with glowing reviews in the Supplier Review subsection. Fantastic post sale customer service.

You Baader zoom owners have really put the cat amongst the pidgeons now. I own a couple of Hyperion fixed focals (24 and 10mm). A Celestron Ultima 2x barlow and have just ordered a 14mm ftr for the 10mm Hyperion. Not wishing to double up on sizes if I can help it, but would it be a good move getting a Hyperion zoom? I know I will probably be doubling up on a few sizes and also in the 24mm position you don't get the 68 degrees that you get with the fixed 24mm, but if the Hyperion zoom is truly the exceptional eyepiece that everyone says it is then maybe it could be a welcome addition to my ep collection.

You Baader zoom owners have really put the cat amongst the pidgeons now. I own a couple of Hyperion fixed focals (24 and 10mm). A Celestron Ultima 2x barlow and have just ordered a 14mm ftr for the 10mm Hyperion. Not wishing to double up on sizes if I can help it, but would it be a good move getting a Hyperion zoom? I know I will probably be doubling up on a few sizes and also in the 24mm position you don't get the 68 degrees that you get with the fixed 24mm, but if the Hyperion zoom is truly the exceptional eyepiece that everyone says it is then maybe it could be a welcome addition to my ep collection.

Malc,

I've compared a Hyperion zoom directly with the fixed focal length Hyperions. The zoom is a really excellent zoom but the fixed focal length Hyperions were a bit sharper and had less light scatter around bright objects like Jupiter and Saturn which made the fainter Saturnian moons and more subtle Jovian surface features a little easier to pick out.

Whether the convenience of the zoom outweighs it's slight optical performance disadvantage over the fixed focal length eyepieces is a personal choice of course but the zoom certainly does not outperform them, from my experience.

Thanks once again, John,

The balance is restored. With your knowledge I think I will reserve the money that I may have spent on a Baader zoom and put it to upgrading my scope at some point.

Sometimes the voice of common sense prevails and stops you from going out and spending for the sake of it.

I agree with John - the zoom won't outperform other fixed length Hyperions - but it does outperform a lot of the cheaper makes of eyepiece up to and around the £60 mark. The latest Meades and Celestrons in that range come close, but you'd have to buy 5 of them - this for me is one of the things that make the Hyperion zoom such good value.

I've seen several of the "seizing up" posts and they seem mostly to relate to the Mk3 - I've had the Mk2 for over 2yrs now and never had a problem with it in all sorts of temperatures. I'm sure most reputable retailers (like FLO and others) will be keen to help resolve any issues with the manufacturer - some even out of warranty :D

Well one more to add to the list, this last few days mine has been incredibly tight going from 12-24 though strangely 24-12 is fine, 8-12 is fine both ways. I'm leaving it to warm up for a while before contacting the supplier RVO.

Mine is ~ 6 months old and in warranty but to those guys earlier expressing the opinion that out of warranty = tough luck, no so, you have a right to expect an item to have a reasonable lifespan which can be 5-7 years and if it fails during that time through bad design you do have the right to seek redress from the manufacturer. I would not chase the retailer outwith warranty though.

/edit I should also say I love my mkIII and would happily buy another.

Archived