Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Well me Baader 8:24 zooms PACKED UP!!!

Well, my first one is still top top, but I got another today for binoviewing and it doesn't feel nearly as well put together. The bottom grip ring spins quite easily and there's vertical play where the top half joins the bottom half at the click-ring. It's also quite floppy in its movement whereas my older one is firm when you twist it. Needless to say it'll be going back to RVO for a replacement.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

RVO by the way were impeccable. I called them and as soon as I said it seemed wobbly they said "send it back and we'll refund or replace whichever you prefer." They'll also pay the postage. Decent service no quibbles, I thought.

I was considering one of these but don't think I'll bother now...who wants the hassle of returns if it can be avoided.

Thanks for postsing your experiences!

They're great ep's, hold fire for a while and see if the dust settles.

May be me but the complaints seem to have died down!

Hmmm... I had to send mine back shortly after receiving it due to a flaw in the optics, now awaiting a replacement. Must say I'm a tad wary after reading through this thread. Lets hope they've changed the grease or whatever the offending component is/was, I suppose only time will tell.

• 3 months later...

I recently bought one of these from FLO, but it had a very small internal defect on one of the lens elements, looked like a very small bit of dust, or something!

Needless to say the chaps at FLO sent me another one as soon as I told them and so far it seems fine. It seems well built and the twist action is smooth, although it isn't very cold ay night yet!

I bought this to replace a lovely set of Televues I used to own, due to financial reasons....booo!, So I have some experience of looking through some really good ep's, but to be honest, I am very happy with the Baader so far! It's not such a big down grade as I thought it might be! I actually wish i'd of bought one of these a couple of years ago!

Doc

Hi Doc, yeah had my new one for a while now, I seem to remember that when I recieved my first one the rotational movement always seemed a little "sticky", the replacement has worked really well and I've noticed that the rotational movement through the different mags is alot smoother, but due to the weather of late the scopes spent more time in its box than under the heavens - cheers mate - regards Paul.

Could well be that they arent packing up lately because the temps arent so low as they were in the winter, if i recall correctly people were saying they got stiff when out on frosty nights. Hopefully thats no longer the case.

Thats my view on the MkIII too. I got a replacement for a completely jammed MkIII back in the Spring, the first night you could feel it getting stickier as the temp dropped but did'nt jam completely. It's been smooth all summer but the big test will be during the winter and the minus temps.

Somebody on here suggested storing them in room temp on it's side (and occassionally rotate) to allow the grease to redistribute.

I've never had an issue with the Nagler zoom, so would love to know the specific reason for these BH zooms sticking.

I've had no problem with mine, which I took to be a MkIII, and which I used last winter in sub-zero temperatures. Maybe it's really a MkII, or I'm just lucky - or maybe I can expect problems any time soon. I use it more than any other eyepiece - a zoom is perfect for finding small, faint DSOs.

It really is a great EP, just this nuisance with it sticking - the one I had to replace jammed just before the 20mm 'click'.

The other night it was the only EP I used for touring the Cygnus clusters and nebulae. The nagler zoom, 30mm and 40mm all stayed in the EP case.

Mines here and ready to go once the clouds give me a little break.

First impressions are great build quality and it's not as big as I expected.

The 2.25 Barlow that came with it is really neat. It's absolutely tiny and simply screws onto the eyepiece filter thread.

I'm looking forward to trying this in other eyepieces as well.

Archived