Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Well me Baader 8:24 zooms PACKED UP!!!

Had my ep about 7 months outside last night with my little Mak, put RA and DEC in the handset for Comet Garradd slewed - stopped slewing

- had a little sweep around - found it - thought I would increase mag a little (NNNNNNNOOOOOOOTTTTTTT!!!!!!!) stuck fast, returned today for repair/replacement.

Wonder if anyone else has had bad luck with their Baader 8 24mm Mark III Zoom.

OH - and still waiting for WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN!!! with me CPC 1100 on it. AAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!.

nough said!!!

Paul.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
same as my 8-24 zoom from FLO , the zoom ring has completely seized up but out of warrenty so it's just a paper weight now :)
an expensive paperweight ;) I would be on the phone and requesting a repalcement, warranty or not . the item should be fit for purpose and should last a long time [it's not like you can use it everyday] maybe point steve from FLO to this page [and other badder reviews which all seem to state the same thing] that the newer mark 3 seem's to have a problem .wish i could afford a £180 eyepiece as a paperweight ;)

Hi Guys, yes - seems to becoming a regular post, mine was 7 months old so in warranty not sure whats being done - a repair or replacement and at over £170 I think the QC should be aware of the number of returns - they must know this - so what are they doing about it - probably not a lot. Cheers all and clear skies Paul.

I would be on the phone and requesting a repalcement, warranty or not.

You know...... That statement is wrong in so many ways...... If its aimed at the retailer.......

I have every sympathy for those having problems, but it sounds like a manufacturer defect.

Contacting Baader would be a better idea.....Let them know directly what is going on....

I think the point was that sad though it is, it's out of warranty. Not many retailers can offer lifetime warranties for things they don't manufacture and have a (presumably) small profit margin upon and where the manufacturer offers only a 12 month warranty. Surely you cannot expect that?

Not knocking you but it's what the public expect from a retailer when things go wrong in warranty.

However...

Not all retailers are as generous with their returns

Amazon DO request that you send your faulty equipment direct to the manufacturer after 30 days if its faulty.

After the warranty period, you cant expect the retailer to accept the return. It should then go to the manufacturer direct.

Not knocking you but it's what the public expect from a retailer when things go wrong in warranty.

However...

Not all retailers are as generous with their returns

Amazon DO request that you send your faulty equipment direct to the manufacturer after 30 days if its faulty.

fair enough when IN warranty. I think Jamie and I were referring to things when OUT of warranty. it's unfair to expect a retailer or a manufacturer to replace something then surely?

You know...... That statement is wrong in so many ways...... If its aimed at the retailer.......

I have every sympathy for those having problems, but it sounds like a manufacturer defect.

Contacting Baader would be a better idea.....Let them know directly what is going on....

as the supplier then surely FLO in this case has seen the problem's and would have more of a point of contact than 1 person phoning/emailing baadder ,I would rather phone the company i bought something from and tell them of my problem and see if i was the unlucky 1[but not in this case] and see what they could do to help me .as for the manufacturer they have a responsibiltiy to produce a product which is fit for use and with so many failures it obviously isn't so if taken to a small claims court i would imagine with the evidence of product failure they would lose ]

if anyone has been unlucky enough to own a car /pc/electrical device etc[for example] that has had a recall for something way after any warranty exists then this is the very same principle ,

fair enough when IN warranty. I think Jamie and I were referring to things when OUT of warranty. it's unfair to expect a retailer or a manufacturer to replace something then surely?

Totally agree guys.

My apologies, I thought you were referring to the item being IN warranty and going back to the manufacturer rather than the retailer

My specsavers appointment is due lol

When a car keeps having the same problem even if it is out of warranty it gets a recall so it can be fixed ,you would still take it back to the show room you purchased it from and I'm sure Flo would agree that they may have change the grease for a cheaper one we would not know but once they have over a dozen complaints they would know something was wrong and alert the company and if nothing was done they would not do busness with them again , companies are always trying to cut costs this could be one that back fires

When you buy something from a retailer, then your contract is with the retailer, not the manafacturer. It is the retailer that has to make good if the item is not fit for purpose. Also, if the item fails outside of warranty due to poor design or manafacturing fault then a claim ccan still be made. Obviously it'd be unreasonable to claim a year after the warranty expires, but a month or two shouldn't be an issue. If the retailer certainly any UK based retailer, and soon to be any EU based retailer) disagrees, then issue a small claims action. The consumer has every right to be protected from poorly designed products.

Hi Guys, Thanks for all the comments, from my last post I wasn't referring to any of the retailers - its the manufacturers - when the retailers get a return or a faulty product - they must contact the manufacturer, the retailer then returns it to the manufacturer - I thought this was how warranties work.

Baader must be getting a few of these returned by the sounds of it, but the mark II zooms seem to be ok - not heard of any of those being returned - so looks like the mark III has a common fault by the sounds of the amount of user comments.

No the retailers (or most of them) do a fine job - I contacted the retailer by e mail and within minutes of their opening times - I had an e mail back - fantastic service.

I'm not knocking anyone - but the point is that if there seems to be a "common fault" with a product - its down to the manufacturers to put this right, and judging by the amount that has been returned - they must know about this. Its not a cheap item, they seem to sell highish end products and at around £170 a pop for a zoom ep - I wouldn't call it bargain basement.

Sorry if I mis - led anyone, but when you find a good retailer - you seem to stick with them - the service that I received was excellent from them - its the manufacturer where the problem is and it should be the manufacturer that sorts it out.

Cheers all and thanks for the comments Paul.

i was thinking of buying one of these, but may go for the meade instead, £60 cheaper as well, regarding warranties, refer to the sales of goods act, this basically covers things upto 5 years (they need to be fit for purpose), it is the retailer that should be approached and there responsibility, they then take the case up with the manufacture, i have used this to great effect on several occasions, once getting a full refund on a 1500 quid tv that was 18 months out of warranty and you could then buy the same tv for about £600 (but that was qvc exceptional customer service).the moment you quote the sales of goods act people start to get worried and you usually get somewhere but can take a while, had to threaten court action to tesco but they backed down eventually.

Mine stuck last week too, it won't budge to 20mm and 24mm. Still works but sticky from 8-16mm.

Had trouble a while back when it was really cold and when trying it again at room temp it was fine, but last week it would'nt even budge after 2 days so have sent it back to supplier.

Definetely want a replacement as it's a great zoom EP.

Archived