Hi

Stellagirl

Hello from me I'm a 'newbie' to this forum :hello2:I've had my own small telescope for a few years now but feel I probably don't get the best from it, as I'm self taught :blob10:. I'm still finding my way around the night sky - and would love some advice generally about using a telescope to it's best abilities I'm also interested in learning about how to take photographs of the night sky.

Welcome. Nothing wrong with being self-taught, though sometimes I wish I wasn't. My teacher is a bit slow and gets things wrong. On the bright side, he's always there when I need help.

James

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you are interested in astrophotography, may I suggest you get hold of a copy of Steve Richards' "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.99). It's a comprehensive guide on what kit you need and why you need it to make good consistent images. It will also help provide you with the necessary overview to construct a realistic budget and hep you buy unnecessary gear. Thankfully, there is plenty of free software on the internet to help you process the detail in the data you will capture, but like so many other things, there are other important pieces of software that you may need to pay for so bare that in mind. Imaging planets and the moon can be done using a simple webcam on almost any scope but it's imaging deep sky objects (DSO's) like galaxies and nebulae which proves a little bit more complicated and starts with very accurate mount, which I'm afraid aren't cheap.

There is a review of the above book written in the equipment review section on this forum which you might also like to take a look at. Hope that helps.

Clear skies

James

Hello Stellagirl. Welcome to the forum. Nothing wrong with being self taught - there is a wealth of info on the net and in this lounge in particular, which you will find useful. I've taken that route. The learning curve is massive, but equally enjoyable.

I can't advise on astrophotography as I have no idea yet myself :blob10:

Finding my feet with scope and eyepieces though, but you will find some very smart folks here who will help you out.

Let everyone know what scope you have, just out of interest.

Scott :o

Archived