Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51, stage 2, 15 hours up.

ollypenrice

I really wish I'd not stumbled across this thread. Quite depressing for me :)

That is a lovely looking Image Olly (et all), we appear to be doing the same project.

How do you manage to keep the Blue channel under control, have I just been unlucky? Focusing in R and G I had the FWHM down to 1.2-1.5... But for Blue I was pleased after 30 minutes to get it into the 3's....

Does everyone have issues with Blue... if so how do you control the size of the blue stars?

Great image Olly - well done to all concerned.

Ant

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really wish I'd not stumbled across this thread. Quite depressing for me :)

That is a lovely looking Image Olly (et all), we appear to be doing the same project.

How do you manage to keep the Blue channel under control, have I just been unlucky? Focusing in R and G I had the FWHM down to 1.2-1.5... But for Blue I was pleased after 30 minutes to get it into the 3's....

Does everyone have issues with Blue... if so how do you control the size of the blue stars?

Great image Olly - well done to all concerned.

Ant

Yours is going well, Ant. What scope are you using? You obviously have a bit of FL. Problems in blue usually come from lens elements in the system since keeping those short wavelengths under control is like herding cats for opticians. Focal reducer? Very hard to say. It was always a problem in my Meade 127 triplet. Blue would bloat on stars.

Maybe the choice of filter has an effect. Yves' setup uses Baaders.

You can do a 'star curve' in the blue channel in post processing to pull them down, maybe just in the blue. Below, there is a feathered selection active around the star. The bottom point of the curve is on the background sky to 'pin' it. I find it best to use more than one small iteration.

STAR-HALO-CURVE-M.jpg

Olly

• 5 months later...

Certainly the best M51 I've seen! :) And I've seen quite a few :D

I concur! Its bordering on ridiculous how high you have set the bar with this one! Something for us mere mortals to be aiming at.

I simply love the oranges and blues and the little tendrils of what appears to be dust being ripped away from galactic collision.

Archived