NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello

Brentmeister77

Hello, just about to invest in a scope and embark on this long overdue hobby! Thinking of getting the explorer 150p to start me off. I live in Kidderminster in Worcestershire so if anyone knows of any groups to help me get started would be great. Btw been on other forums for various subjects and met with abuse and contempt but the star gazers seem a genuinely friendly bunch.:)

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the forum! And I agree, stargazers are a friendly bunch, and that joining a local group is an extremely good idea.. Best of luck with the new 'scope selection/purchase, be sure to check out the sticky posts here for more guidance, and you might also want to talk face-to-face with those at your local group before making a final decision (as you local skies factor into the decision). Sorry I can't recommend a group as I'm 'across the pond', but am sure you'll find more people to interact with face-to-face.

Clear (and dark) skies!

Hi and welcome to the forum. Regarding the 150P you are proposing to buy, Sky at Night magazine recently reviewed the scope and thought it very capable though a little overpriced. If I had to recommend an alternative for around the same money it would be a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P - if you can get one! The most popular scope by far and there must be a reason for that, well there is and its called 'aperture'. Aperture means resolution, the more light you can grasp the more information there will be for you to look at, especially on the fainter objects such as distant galaxies and nebula. However being a dobsonian, it will mean that you will have to nudge it your self to track any objects viewed which is no different than the 150P if you are not going to spend the extra on motors. Hope that gives you something to think on but do come back with more questions.

Clear skies

James

Archived